PDA

View Full Version : Kingfisher (Male)

Pete Woods
05-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Taken Friday at Rye Meads RSPB

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D X (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001AWRHOY/)
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +2x III, ISO 200, 1/160, f8
Image Date: 2013-05-03
Copyright: peter@peterwoodsphotography.co.uk
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/13427971/art/adobe/photoshop-lightroom-4.html) 4.4 (Macintosh)

Stu Bowie
05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi Pete, striking colours on this fellow, good smooth BG, and your comp works well. The light looks a bit harsh due to the brightness of the plumage down the back of him. I know these guys are fairly skittish, but moving towards your left would have given you a better angle. :w3

Vivaldo Damilano
05-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi Pete, lovely looking kingfisher, like the turn of his head towards you. Light was a bit harsh but well done on getting this little skittish fellow.

PhilCook
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Lovely profile shot and simple perch with smooth backdrop make this work nicely, colors are great as is the light in the eye, possibly tone down the brights on the back a little more

Daniel Cadieux
05-07-2013, 08:13 AM
That's a nice subject with nice colours and you have a good composition for the image. Light is indeed harsh, and the perch not perfect, especially the cut end. I would also have preferred a better light angle to better light the face (especially between the eye and bill). Good details though, and nice BG.

Steve Kaluski
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Would agree on the light being harsh, as it's blown the whites on the head unfortunately and parts of the back. Based on the techs the ISO needed to be higher for greater SS and I would have expected greater clarity & detail within the plumage and the beak sharper based on the DOF, unless this is a crop and knowing the IQ of the 1DX. Just been shooting with the same kit at ISO 800-3200 and the IQ is steller with very limited light. Based on the image presented, with some carful and simple PP work both detail, richness of colour and depth can be restored, but sadly not to the whites. Understanding and checking the histogram is key to avoid this Peter.