PDA

View Full Version : Columbine Buds

Anita Bower
05-06-2013, 05:35 AM
I haven't posted in this forum in a long time. It is good to be back.
I took this picture indoors using natural light. The background is white foam board.
Nikon D300, 105mm macro, tripod, f16, 0.3 sec., ISO 100.
Brought out some details using Topaz Detail, added saturation.
C & C welcome.

Norm Dulak
05-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi Anita.

This is an interesting image. I like the orientations of the major elements, the colors and the high key approach. If it were mine, I think I wouldn't crop quite so tightly at the top and sides. And it's too bad that the central leaf and stem are not sharp. But other than that, there is much to like in this image.

Good to see you back in this forum!

Norm

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2013, 07:11 AM
I like the image it conjures up something between a photo and painting. I have used Topaz detail in the past and here I think you have done a good job. On a personal note I find Topaz a bit hit and miss, I suspect I need more patience!
I quite like the colours but the image makes me wonder what it would have looked like had they not been saturated. I like the composition, I would have liked a little more space around the top but I suspect you have considered this already and found that more white background does not really add to the image?
I am looking forward to more of your images, I noticed we have not seen too many recently:w3

Anita Bower
05-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Thank you Norm and Jonathan for your comments. I may have cropped it too close at the top. I probably should have removed that center leaf before shooting. I'll think of that next time. I like saturated colors, but sometimes I may go overboard. I haven't posted on this forum recently because I've been playing around with texture overlays, which I love using, but I miss the focus on flowers. I like Topaz Detail a lot. I often skip the presets and move the sliders myself.

Steve Maxson
05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Welcome back, Anita! This is a beautiful studio shot! I like the comp and the OOF stem does not bother me as my eye goes directly to the main bud (very sharp) and then to the smaller (also sharp) bud behind it. This is subjective, of course, but I think the image might actually have less impact if the main stem was sharp. My only critique is that you could have posted it at a larger size. :S3:

Anita Bower
05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Steve. I never know quite how large to post. :-)

Arthur Morris
05-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Love the painterly high key look. And yes to larger.

Bob Miller
05-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Anita.....Love this image! Everything about it! The white bg and high key look is especially attractive to me!TFS

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Fantastic! Great looking subjects and very nice on the high key!!!

Anita Bower
05-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you all. :-)