PDA

View Full Version : The Cormorant has landed

Stu Bowie
05-05-2013, 10:50 PM
I went to my local pond in Pretoria over the weekend and captured various incoming shots of various ducks and cormorants. This is a White-breasted cormorant, and he gave me a full show of his wings. Ive based my rotation on the ripples in the FG.

Canon 1D Mark IV
100-400 @ 370mm
1/2000
F/7.1
ISO 800

Exp comp +0.33

Satish Ranadive
05-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Stuart Sir:
Excellent landing pose you have captured.Great IQ.
Love the full wing show,very nice eye contact,beautiful colors,details,flash of water in blues.
I don't know but,I still feel that image needs some CW rotation.

Regard,
Satish.

Robert Holguin
05-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Excellent shot Stuart!
I really like the landing pose. Especially the wing position.
Terrific details, exposed very well, and great comp.
Agree Satish, looks like it needs just a tad of CW rotation.
Well done.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-06-2013, 03:57 AM
I like all the lines created here making a cool X with the reflection in the middle.

PhilCook
05-06-2013, 05:41 AM
That's quite a furrow it's made on landing.....nicely sharp Stuart and love those wings

Greg Oakley
05-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Great action shot Stuart - superb timing and detail,
Cheers Greg

Grace Scalzo
05-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Love the incoming angle. The exposure on the underwings looks great. I think (without measuring) that the whites have some hot spots. Tricky on the rotation, but I'm with Satish here.

Stu Bowie
05-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Faraaz Abdool
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey Stuart - Killer pose on this incoming cormie. Agree with the others regarding the rotation. One way to know for sure (as I've learned from Kerry Perkins) is to draw a straight line from a point down to its reflection. When that line is vertical you've got the correct rotation.

Stu Bowie
05-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Agree with the others regarding the rotation. One way to know for sure (as I've learned from Kerry Perkins) is to draw a straight line from a point down to its reflection. When that line is vertical you've got the correct rotation.

Thanks Faraaz. I wish the reflection was clear enough to line up a point - please show me which one you had in mind. :w3:bg3::bg3:

Vivaldo Damilano
05-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Awesome Stu, love the landing pose and good detail. Agree with rotation on this one, great work.

David Salem
05-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice slide in pose. Good details and exposure and I like the streak of water. Like it Stuart!

Faraaz Abdool
05-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks Faraaz. I wish the reflection was clear enough to line up a point - please show me which one you had in mind. :w3:bg3::bg3:

Wellll it is difficult to find a clear spot, but in this case I figure you can take the approximate spot where his gular sac is (the yellow portion just before the white starts) as that can be clearly discerned in the reflection. Draw a line from the meeting point of the gular sac and neck feathers on the actual bird to the corresponding point on the reflection. It's pretty much aligned but may need a very slight CW rotation. Looking at this shot on my home monitor (as opposed to at work earlier) I'm amazed at the sharpness you got on that face!