PDA

View Full Version : Pumped up

John Chardine
05-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I've not had a lot of time lately to get out or to post. Here's a Pied-billed Grebe getting ready for the breeding season.

Raw image was developed with Canon DPP, then processed in Ps. Viveza was used to up the saturation a little. The light was flat and there was not much colour there. Still I was happy to bring out the subtle colouration of this species. Sharpened as usual.

Date: 21 April, 2013, Time: 1120h
Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x, @ 700 mm
Program: Manual
ISO 800, 1/1600s, f/5.6

Clyde Hopper
05-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi John, It's very Hard for someone at my level to critique a photograph from someone at your level. Intent on using every opportunity to learn, Please let me ask ....... It is taught ,when subject is moving in a direction ,one should have that subject entering the frame not exiting . However this photograph brakes that line of thought and works well! WHY? Composition always intrigues me .

John Chardine
05-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Good point Clyde. I was attempting this here with the bird moving from left to right. I gave the subject more room to the right of the head, than to the left of the OOF body. Perhaps the illusion is caused by the body being so OOF that your eye just doesn't think it's there.

I am not entirely sure I am addressing your comment Clyde. Let me know if I misunderstood.

Clyde Hopper
05-02-2013, 08:28 PM
You addressed my question quite well . I have been staring at it, and studying it as well . one additional thing I have come up with is the fact that the eyes are looking directly at the viewer .As if the direction just changed and the bird is coming at you . I may well be completely wrong here ,but it definitely works.

Jeff Cashdollar
05-02-2013, 09:21 PM
John,

Good to see you posting my new equipment should come next week and I will be doing the same. I love original composition and this get an A+. Great eye and a fantastic look at the motion and moments in nature.

Steve Uffman
05-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Really like this one John. Unusual looking. Love the eye contact. Think you need to get a little lower pov with that fine piece of hardware. Did you have a snorkel?

Nancy Phillips
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM
This viewpoint is very unusual and works well. The eye contact is compelling, and the wet feathers on crown and cheeks show that the grebe has been diving. A lot of bird portraits feel static, but this one doesn't.