PDA

View Full Version : Crop vs. Full-Frame

Ian Cassell
05-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I was going to add this question to the thread on the new 5d3 firmware discussion, but feel it warrants its own discussion.

In my digital history, I've only used crop-sensor cameras (and it's been a long time since I shot 35mm film). I've been happy with my 7D but, with all the excitement over the new 5D3 firmware, have again been considering upgrading my body.

My dilemma is whether or not I will be struggling to adapt to the loss of the crop factor. Should I be waiting for the 7D2, or should I jump on the 5D3?

Although I have a couple of lenses that will work only on the crop camera which I can't afford to replace yet - my Sigma 10-20 and my Tamron 17-50 (and I would keep my 7D as a second body), my main lenses are my 500/4 and 400/5.6.

For those of you who have made the switch from crop to full-frame, have you been upset with the loss of that 1.6 crop?

Thoughts?

fabiobernardino
05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Same case here. I was thinking of getting a 6D to complement the 7D while the mark2 isn't released. The 6D would be my indoor, landscape, travel camera. Lens 24-105/4, 17-40/4L, Ronkinon 14mm/2.8. This combo is just a little more than the 5D mk3 alone. But I'm concerned about its focus performance.

With the talk about the f8 performance, I am considering moving to the 5D and selling the 7D. If we crop the 5D image to get the same FOC of 7D, how many megapixels would the image be ? Image quality would be better overall ? I believe it would be for the high ISO but not sure for the lowest ISO. So maybe the 6D would be a money-wise buying.

What do you think ?

Rachel Hollander
05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Ian - If you are keeping both then they complement each other nicely. I have both the 7d and the 5D3 and shoot with both depending on situation. These days I probably prefer the 5D3 but there are times I reach for the 7D. On my last trip to Africa most of the time I had the 70-200 II on the 5D3 and the 100-400 on the 7D. I used the latter combination when I wanted a little more reach, I used the former when the light was low.

Rachel

Ian Cassell
05-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Rachel. Yes, I would keep them both. Right now, my main body is my 7D and I have my 30D as a second. The 30D is quite archaic by today's standards, but still holds up for some things. No matter what body I get, my 7D will stay (and I'll probably convert my 30D to IR).

My temptation is to spring for the 5D3, but I know I'm an impatient person and that's what's driving this. I really probably should sit tight and wait and see what happens in the next few months in the Canon line.

David Stephens
05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
I was going to add this question to the thread on the new 5d3 firmware discussion, but feel it warrants its own discussion.

In my digital history, I've only used crop-sensor cameras (and it's been a long time since I shot 35mm film). I've been happy with my 7D but, with all the excitement over the new 5D3 firmware, have again been considering upgrading my body.

My dilemma is whether or not I will be struggling to adapt to the loss of the crop factor. Should I be waiting for the 7D2, or should I jump on the 5D3?

Although I have a couple of lenses that will work only on the crop camera which I can't afford to replace yet - my Sigma 10-20 and my Tamron 17-50 (and I would keep my 7D as a second body), my main lenses are my 500/4 and 400/5.6.

For those of you who have made the switch from crop to full-frame, have you been upset with the loss of that 1.6 crop?

Thoughts?

I moved from the 7D to the 5D MkIII. I still own and carry my 7D with my 70-200mm mounted when I'm shooting my 500mm on the 5D3. Even before the firmware update, the improvement in the AF was enough to move me to the 5D3. What good is more pixels on the subject if twice as many of you shots are OOF? Now, with the firmware update and an EF 2.0X TC-III, I'm in hog heaven. 1000mm hand held at 1/400-sec.:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8257/8700077287_5b13614fd4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/8700077287/)
Mountain bluebird in a spring snow. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/8700077287/) by dcstep (http://www.flickr.com/people/dcstep/), on Flickr

Still, all that said, I'm eagerly waiting for the 7D MkII, with my fingers crossed that it'll get the same AF system and AF at f/8. Why not have your cake and eat it too? I like having a two-camera rig. When not focal length limited, I use the full-frame camera. Assuming all other things equal, when I'm focal length limited, I prefer a crop sensor. Still, AF accuracy trumps pixel pitch for me.