PDA

View Full Version : Hen Northern Shoveler

David Salem
05-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Took this a few months ago at a local refuge. She looked so peaceful sleeping in the early morning sun. She heard me fire off a few shots and I like that she opened her eye.

1DMKIV---700mm---f6.3---ss1/2500---ISO640---HH@8:15am---15% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. Appreciated.

David

MohsenVahedipour
05-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Excellent shooting angle, pose & IQ. Great reflection.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Nice light David and a nice reflection too. The drake feels a little tight in the frame to me maybe just a little looser

David Salem
05-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the comments. Cheryl, I used a pretty tight comp on this one to highlight the details, especially the eye area. Looking at it now, with the bigger format, I could go a bit looser and not lose the desired effect. Thanks

Daniel Cadieux
05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Good IQ on the subject, and I too like the open eye. I agree with it being tight in the frame. I would also remove the "blob" on the reflected primary, and perhaps tweak the colour of the water which seems a bit "electric" for lack of a better term. Good details , and I like the wisps of feather crossing the eye.

Randy Rimland
05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
beautiful exactly as is.... i can't think of anything that would make it better

David Salem
05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks Daniel and Randy for the comments. I tried a looser crop , removed the blob on the reflection and adjusted the saturation level to change the water color a little. What do you think? Thanks in advance

Randy Rimland
05-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks Daniel and Randy for the comments. I tried a looser crop , removed the blob on the reflection and adjusted the saturation level to change the water color a little. What do you think? Thanks in advance

the original was so good it's hard to say this is better
I'll stay w/ the original being my fav but I tend to like tighter crops and usually get suggestions here to open up more

Jim Crosswell
05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
I like the sharpness, details, calm feel, reflection and looser crop. Excellent image David!

Stu Bowie
05-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi David, you have nailed the repost. I just love these type of images with calm water showing up a perfect reflection.

My local pond in Pretoria produces these type of images. Captured plenty, never bothered to process and post them. :w3

Marina Scarr
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Really like the RP a lot in terms of crop and all the super details. I would reduce blues even more unless this is really what you saw. It simply doesn't look natural to my eyes and takes focus away from your amazing looking duck.

David Salem
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks again everyone for the comments.
Marina, this is exactly as seen. I did not change the water color at all. This spot is in a marine estuary and the water is very blue and vivid depending on the time of day. Some shots almost look fake. I always shoot with a small JPEG attached so I can refer to it for proper color reproduction. I figure Canon has spent millions on R&D so I follow the JEPEG then tweak things a little, normally very little. Thanks for the comment and the help

jack williamson
05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
The repost looks great. I love the peek she is giving you. Excellent feather detail. The reflection is near perfect.

PhilCook
05-02-2013, 10:45 PM
When it's this good you just have to fill the frame with the subject....and you have :5

An overall eye popping image David, the perfect reflection and great strong blue color, love the peeking eye....change nothing Sir imo

Diane Miller
05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
That's the most amazing reflection!! Great image!

David Salem
05-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Appreciated.