PDA

View Full Version : My First Sunset - Great Horned Owlet

Marina Scarr
05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
This owlet had just fledged earlier in the day and spent the afternoon with talons embedded in the tree trunk while trying to keep from being knocked down from the wind gusts. As the afternoon progressed, the fledgling appeared to be gazing out over the beach and Gulf at its first sunset. I just love the way the owlet's "skirt" is blowing and how his curve matches that of the tree trunk. Following the progress of these owlets was a real treat.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L
F6.3, 1/1600sec, ISO 640, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Jamie Douglas
05-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Thumbs up from me Marina, I like it a lot :S3:. Light, placement of the owl and trunk. Quite the little diva eh!

Satish Ranadive
05-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Excellent image owlet.I like the way curves of the owlet matching with tree trunk,well spread claws on the perch and blown out feathers.
Nice colors,light and superb composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Loi Nguyen
05-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Wow, look at those talons! Love the skirt blowing and the down feathers. Was it a big crop? On my iPad, the Owlet's head and eyes seem a bit soft. Loi

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
05-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Lovely image.
At first glance the trunk may seem to be over powering the owlet, but at closer look it has a nice shape which separate the image into two tones very nicely. I too like the blow feathers too. Wish there a way to capture this eye level.

hirandesilva
05-01-2013, 11:45 PM
The darker color and the composition of the owl draws ones attention to the owl. Nicely composed, eye-catching image.

Hiran

Marina Scarr
05-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Lovely image.
At first glance the trunk may seem to be over powering the owlet, but at closer look it has a nice shape which separate the image into two tones very nicely. I too like the blow feathers too. Wish there a way to capture this eye level.

This image is nearly full frame. Maybe when you see it on your desktop monitor, the owl will look sharp.

Don Nelson
05-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Image is plenty sharp. Great view of this new owlet. I like the "tutu" like feathers on the bottom. Great capture

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
05-02-2013, 01:21 AM
This is a sweet image, the comp works very well here!

David Salem
05-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Nice shot of this fresh one. The light is beautiful and the form of the trunk adds to the whole scene. Like the pant feathers blowing in the wind and the owlet looks sharp. Good work.

PhilCook
05-02-2013, 03:26 AM
1st prize for the best silly legs competition LOL

Like the way the tree trunk semi frames the bird...nice curvature there. great score Marina

Minh Insixiangmy
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Fantastic photo Marina. I love the composition and placement of the owlet.

Brendon Cremer
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Lovely image, detail, colour and exposure looks great to me and i love the tree. The sky just looks a little too Cyan to me but it may well just be me.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Very artistic Comp here Marina. I really like the curve of the trunk and how you created a "small in the frame" image. The light is gorgeous as is the little chick and I love the little skirt!

Daniel Cadieux
05-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Love the title! Great light, and composition. I like that it is looking up and over way out into the distance, but I'd also like a version where its head is looking down a bit more...I'm sure you have some of those too. Super nice feel to this.

Jim Crosswell
05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
I like the matching curves, wind blown feathers, light and composition. Excellent image Marina!

Stu Bowie
05-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi Marina, I like the overall setting and how you have comped this. Exquisite light, alert stare, and the fluffy wind swept feathers puts this up a few notches. An opportunity well used.

Jeroen Stel
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Stunning framing by the tree and love the look on that Owl!
well seen and excecuted!

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

jack williamson
05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Everyone else has already said it but so must I, the tree framing the owl and this composition is awesome. He looks quite content to watch the sun set.

Jim Thomas
05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Sweet, looks like he's wearing a tutu! I'd like to see what a deeper blue in the background would look like, seems really light for sunset, but I like it the way it is too. Just got your cover of living bird news too, is this the same Owl?

Jim

Bonnie Block
05-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Marina, I am an owl addict. Love this one. The composition is wonderful. Big tree—little bird.

Grace Scalzo
05-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Sweet....one of those images that just makes me smile.

Derek Willcox
05-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Marina like the owlet like how you have composed the owlet with curve of the tree the blowing feathers around the legs the look that its given like iam going to fly out there very soon

Clyde Hopper
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Marina ,This looks to me to be one more of your prize winning Photographs . I tip my hat to you !........Again!

Marina Scarr
05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Sweet, looks like he's wearing a tutu! I'd like to see what a deeper blue in the background would look like, seems really light for sunset, but I like it the way it is too. Just got your cover of living bird news too, is this the same Owl?

Jim

This is actually the natural sky, Jim. I would be afraid that if the sky were too blue, it might take away some of the focus off of my owlet.

No, this is not the same owlet as on the cover of Living Bird. That owl family is from a Fort Desoto nesting pair where I spent quite a bit of time this winter.

Marina Scarr
05-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Marina like the owlet like how you have composed the owlet with curve of the tree the blowing feathers around the legs the look that its given like iam going to fly out there very soon

Hi Derek: Just after the sun went down, this owlet actually got the intestinal fortitude to fly to a nearby tree. Then his sibling actually left the nest a few minutes later. It was just amazing to witness, albeit difficult to shoot at very high ISO's b/c it had gotten pretty dark. I did give it the ol' college try though. My shutter speed was so low, I think I got one that was sharp. Better one than none!

Steve Uffman
05-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Realy,really fine. And such a " wise" composition:bg3: Love all your owl shots

Troy Lim
05-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Well executed Marina. Another great shot.

nick clayton
05-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I love the way the Owl is framed by the curve of the tree, the bird has a great stand to attention pose, the sky compliments colours of the bird and tree and the light is suberb. Beautiful image Marina