PDA

View Full Version : Cheap camera option, advice needed please.

Ashley Cohen
05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Hi everyone, I previously posted a thread about switching back to canon ( here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/109578-Switching-Back-to-Canon-What-Kit-to-go-for )

I managed to get hold of a 300mm f2.8 Mk II, but it's left me short on cash so my options for a temporary camera are limited. Eventually I'll get a 70D or 7D Mk II but for now I'm looking at cameras in the £300-£400 range.

My options are limited to used:
40D
50D
1D Mk II
New 60D ( might have to wait a couple of weeks though).

My thoughts are with the mark II (non N) which is on sale at a camera retailer with a Low 20,000 shutter count and in good condition for £300. It's a good price but I'm not sure if being such an older camera its going to be worth it. I had a 7D for 3 years and was thinking the bigger sensor, more latitude, better AF (is it?), will make it worth it.
If I waited I would be able to get a 7D or 1d Mk3 but again what is gonna give better results? Not sure how long I'd have to wait till I could get one of those though. Would the improvements of the Mk 3 over the mk2 be worth selling some stuff to get it?

David Stephens
05-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Congrats on a great lens. I'd go with either the used MkII or a used 7D to get their more sophisticated AF systems and higher fps. The 7D and the 60D have the same sensor and work well up to ISO 800.

To gain the most functionality out of your Series II lens, you need to get to a current series body as soon as you can. The AF systems on the 1D MkIV, 5D MkIII and 1DX take fuller advantage of your S-II lens. I suspect that you know that. If you don't wait too long, when you've got the cash to move up you should be able to recover most of your investment in your "starter" camera. You'll also want quality TCs for that lens and really need to think about Canon's EF 1.4X and 2.0X TC-III.

Ashley Cohen
05-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Cheers for the reply. I Do have both the Mark III extenders with the lens it was part of the deal. I went for the 1D mark II in the end as I didn't have more than £300 to spend and this was the best camera for the money, I could have saved £50 and got a 40D but just from taking a few test shots before work today I can see that this is in a different league to the 40D even if there is less megapixels to hand. The 1.3 crop sensor is much nicer. I was worried about getting good performance at ISO 800 but I took some shots inside and noise is minimal and the files super sharp! I was surprised as they are way sharper than the 7D, D300 ( I had previously) and other bodies I've used. I guess it's the bigger sensor and less megapixels resulting in a great image. I don't like the menu system however it's a faff but the speed of the camera and build more than make up for it. At this rate I might upgrade from this to a 1D Mark III instead of the 7D, I can see why most people seem to rate it above the 7D IQ wise.

Chris Cooke
05-04-2013, 04:22 AM
Ashley you won't regret the 1DMKII, I still have my 1DMKIIN and love it (But since I still have my 1D which is only 4MP and I love that as well)

Most importantly you have a lens and converters which don't age.

Ashley Cohen
05-04-2013, 04:32 AM
Ashley you won't regret the 1DMKII, I still have my 1DMKIIN and love it (But since I still have my 1D which is only 4MP and I love that as well)

Most importantly you have a lens and converters which don't age.

Thanks, thats very true :) Im looking forward to getting out with the camera tomorrow. It seems to have it's limitations ( especially the tiny screen) but as long as I've got a histogram, Im sure I'll do fine.