PDA

View Full Version : kinda like a Grebe...

Jim Thomas
05-01-2013, 04:26 AM
This is my first attempt at sneaking up on ducks. Did not go so well as they saw me coming from 300 yards away. I even had my cammo poncho. I tried hiding in the bushes for a while, not budging, but the ducks were having none of it. There were wood ducks, goldeneys, mergansers, and whatever this one is (some kind of Grebe?) The only reason I got close enough for this shot is because he dived and I quickly crawled on my belly to the edge of the river when he couldn't see me, then got him as he surfaced. Still too far away which is frustrating. I thought the whole point of a longer lens was so you didn't have to get so close, but it seems that I need to be within 20 feet to get any kind of quality. Or maybe that's just the difference between a zoom and a fixed focal length lens. Anyway, I did like the whole color scheme here, and the bird is cute. The bird would have been lit better if it had turned it's head slightly away. The sun was coming up almost straight downriver, so not much choice about that.

Did a few rounds of USM, levels adjustment, cleaned up the eye to bring out some of the color and catchlight, BG NR.

Device: Nikon D5000
Lens: VR 150-500mm F/5-6.3G
Focal Length: 500mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic
Aperture: F/8
Shutter Speed: 1/1000s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.3EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 800

MohsenVahedipour
05-01-2013, 05:48 AM
Jim

Lovely kind of grebe (I guess it should be a Pied-billed grebe in breeding plumage) that we never have a chance to see him/her in our territory.I like those golden feathers. I think using proper audio playback is the best way for attracting grebes, specially in breeding season. Only wish that the bird was slightly more angled toward the frame.

Daniel Cadieux
05-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Yes, a Pied-billed Grebe it is. They are quite cute as you noticed! Nice light, albeit a bit off angle giving off some shade on the bill. Beautiful golden tones. I like the blue surrounding the grebe itself, but not so much the blues below that...I'd have pointed my lens higher, or re-cropped with the grebe lower in the frame. These guys can be wary especially for us not in the south U.S., and yes, audio works well enough with them...but please do so judiciously if you go that route.

Jim Thomas
05-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Actually, i have a shot with him angled toward the camera more but it threw a shadow over the eye and side of his face. IQ wasn't good but I keep trying. I applied cropping suggestions, but had to clone in front to get rid of the blue as the whole foreground was that way. I also boosted saturation a bit.

Jim

Stu Bowie
05-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi Jim, no one said bird/duck photography is easy, so its practise, practise and more practise. :w3 You have brought the fluffy detail on the body well enough, and I like how the colour of the water compliments the grebe.

Your repost does work better.

Daniel Cadieux
05-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I prefer the new crop, and you did well to remove the remaining blue at bottom. Only thing I forgot to mention is that the image needs some CCW rotation but that is also an easy fix.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I never photographing duck before so thank you for sharing the experiences. The bird may be swimming away but the head looks like it is turning back toward you, just a little more turn would be perfect. I like the new crop very much, good job with cleaning the blues. Looking forward to see more, practice make perfect.

Jim Thomas
05-01-2013, 06:46 PM
What is CCW rotation?
I prefer the new crop, and you did well to remove the remaining blue at bottom. Only thing I forgot to mention is that the image needs some CCW rotation but that is also an easy fix.

Kerry Perkins
05-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Hi Jim, CCW stands for "counter clockwise". Also, just a note - grebes are not ducks. Other aquatic birds that are not in the same order as ducks are loons, gallinules, and coots.

Jim Thomas
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Haha, duh, thought ccw was some ps lingo! I do know that grebes are not ducks, but the wood ducks, goldeneyes, and mallards that I was sneaking up on were. This guy just showed up and I was guessing it was a grebe. Besides, if it has feathers and floats, it's a duck, if it's big it's a goose, and if it walks on land it's a chicken. (now I'm just messing with you)

Jim
Hi Jim, CCW stands for "counter clockwise". Also, just a note - grebes are not ducks. Other aquatic birds that are not in the same order as ducks are loons, gallinules, and coots.