PDA

View Full Version : One of the Gliders

vishaljadhav
05-01-2013, 12:38 AM
In the Western Ghats of India there are few Gliding frogs, not that they fly but they glide from a tree to another i have been lucky to see all 4 of them the frog, squirrel , snake and a lizard, here is the Frog known as the Malabar Gliding Frog (Rhacophorus malabaricus) i simply love this small one, they are almost fully nocturnal and by day they prefer spending their time high in the canopy stuck behind a leaf.

This is a male , attempt was to get it crocking with the vocal sack fully blown up, however i found that this is the limit of their opening up .

Handheld
1/200, ISO 200, f/10, flash used 580 EX II with a canon 100 mm 2.8 L IS USM
with a umbrella in other hand as it was raining shading the frog and me :S3:

C & C are welcome

Allen Sparks
05-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Great subject and I like the composition with the frog on the leaf edge with a leading line. I also like the diagonal pose and that you caught the frog croaking. Critical focus is well placed on the eye. A higher f stop may have yielded more DOF but I think this looks fine as is. Well done.

Norm Dulak
05-05-2013, 04:27 PM
A very nice shot under difficult weather conditions. It's sharp, and the colors and composition are excellent. It's very good as is, but I think if it were mine I'd clone out the green in the LRC and the whitish areas above the rear of the frog. That would make the background entirely black, more dramatically setting off the frog.

John Chardine
05-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Superb in every way. Great light, sharp as a tack, nice composition, great colour.

Steve Maxson
05-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Vishal. What an unusual frog! Capturing it while it was croaking makes the image even more interesting. Nice sharpness within your DOF, good exposure, and I like the diagonal comp. This is a strong image, as presented, but you might consider a few small tweaks to make it even better. You might carefully clone some of the flash-generated spectral highlights on the frog's body. I would suggest removing the small bit of leaf at the edge of the frame in the LLC and toning down the whitish areas in the background to the left of the frog. Overall, this is very nicely done!

vishaljadhav
05-06-2013, 01:32 AM
thanks for the suggestions , here is a version with a few tweaks

Steve Maxson
05-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Looks great, Vishal!

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2013, 07:25 AM
A fine image well composed and exposed. Detail is excellent I presume this is a very small frog as the DOF is minimal. Trying not to read previous comments but I did notice there is a repost which looks a tad sharper to me. A very pleasing image.

Gabriela Plesea
05-31-2013, 01:52 AM
This is awesome Vishal, love this image! Repost is stunning, and I so like the way the frog appears to be "suspended" on the leaf-very dramatic!

Kind regards