PDA

View Full Version : Bearded Iris, Silverado

Dave Kilpatrick
04-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Nikon D300, 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED II, TC-17E, ISO 1600, 1/125, f/20, +.33ev

Took the distracting background to black using curves adjustment in Aperture

Jonathan Ashton
05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Dave I think you did a great job there, the whites are showing wonderful detail and I think the dark background works well. There are two green and one red out of focus leaves or flowers in the background in view of the very dark nature of the background I would be tempted to clone them out.
I like the off centre composition and I wonder if the image would have greater impact if it was a little less wide. A beautiful shot - well done.

Dave Kilpatrick
05-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks Jonathon. In my haste to post it I simply missed the distracting artifacts. Next time I will be more careful. Thanks also for the suggestion to narrow the image.

PhilCook
05-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Nice exposed whites and lovely crisp edges as well.......I myself would be more inclined to crop or compose to vertical aspect and perhaps with a bit more of the stem showing

Allen Sparks
05-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Lovely exposure of a beautiful subject. I agree with a crop from the left.

Dave Kilpatrick
05-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Nice exposed whites and lovely crisp edges as well.......I myself would be more inclined to crop or compose to vertical aspect and perhaps with a bit more of the stem showing

Thanks.

I have to learn to look for alternate compositions and the vertical with more stem is a good idea, one I will attempt today. The weather, overcast, is perfect for this kind of subject.

Anita Bower
05-03-2013, 05:34 AM
You did a great job photographing this glorious Iris. Lovely, lovely whites. I can lose myself in the curves, lines, colors of this beauty. Excellent work. Suggestions made above are good. Keep up the excellent work.

Steve Maxson
05-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi Dave. This is a beautiful flower, very nicely captured. I really like the soft light and the subtle colors. I would agree with removing the visible items in the dark background. I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!