PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlie Feasting on Salmon

Loi Nguyen
04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Another Brown Coastal Bear image from last year trip to Brooks Lodge in Kamai, Alaska. The weather was not so cooperating, so light was not so good. Plus I was still learning how to shoot, so many of the images don't look sharp. This one was one of the better ones, so would like to post here to get your comments

5D3
300f2.8 I IS, + 1.4X II + Kenko 1.4X = 588mm focal length
1/1250
f8
ISO-2000
Tripod
Cropped to about 10 M pixels

Thank you

Loi

Nancy Bell
04-30-2013, 04:48 PM
The wonderful red on the salmon, the position of the fish with its head up and the yellow eye visible really draws your attention to the bear and the drama. I love those claws holding the fish. I really like the position of the yellow eye of the bear and the diagonal to the yellow eye of the fish. It really creates a tension between predator and prey. It seems like there is too much water to the right of the bear.

Steve Kaluski
05-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Hi Loi, just taking a break from being in the field for the past few days, so I will try to be concise for once.

My understanding from various postings Rachel has made of this location it's not the easiest so well done. I am also looking at it on the laptop so again I could be out. I would run a Luminosity layer and a midtone adjustment. You get more depth, clarity & detail. I think the sharpening looks OK, just thought it might have been jarring a little with the wet fur??? I like the bow wave coming up from the foot of the image and the stance of the bear holding the salmon. Not sure if the attachment helps, you may just want to adjust for the water?

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
05-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi Loi,

I as well like the image very much, especially the claws on the LHS of the salmon. I might would turn the water a bit darker. The rest is already addressed from Steve.

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Loi Nguyen
05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Loi, just taking a break from being in the field for the past few days, so I will try to be concise for once.

My understanding from various postings Rachel has made of this location it's not the easiest so well done. I am also looking at it on the laptop so again I could be out. I would run a Luminosity layer and a midtone adjustment. You get more depth, clarity & detail. I think the sharpening looks OK, just thought it might have been jarring a little with the wet fur??? I like the bow wave coming up from the foot of the image and the stance of the bear holding the salmon. Not sure if the attachment helps, you may just want to adjust for the water?

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve

Looking at the RP, are you saying I should reduce the brightness of the mid tone? I'm learning for the first time Luminosity mask now and please let me know what you ahve done with the RP.

Thanks

Loi

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
You caught some good action Loi, but the depth Steve has created has improved the image I think. I too would like to see the bear a bit more to the right

Loi Nguyen
05-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Hi Everyone

Thank you for your feedback. I tried NIL Detail Extractor on the bear and moved it slightly to the right. Used Smart Sharpen at 90/0.3/0. Please let me know whether this works better.

thanks

Loi

Brendon Cremer
05-02-2013, 03:25 AM
Hi Loi, a great image very well captured, steve hit the nail on the head, i really like his repost, your RP is improved but still feel the shadows are a little over done, try darkening them just a tad more.