PDA

View Full Version : Blood Root

Cheryl Flory
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Here is one of my first tries at wildflowers. I think the white is a bit overexposed in one petal and I don't like that stem coming up and over the bottom leaf.

I don't have a macro lens so I tried some wide angle landscape shots, and then just tried getting as close as I could focus with my lens to get the shots of the single flowers. There is a lovely woods nearby with trillium, trout lilies, blood roots, ferns, and jack-in-the-pulpits.

Blood Root:
ISO 400
135 mm
auto exposure mode
0.0 exposure correction
partial metering
1/800
f/8.0

I would love to hear your suggestions. I will be going to a new woods on Sunday, and would like to improve my photos.

Thanks!
Cheryl

Robert O'Toole
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Nice flower, and the composition is good, looks sharp. Overall the image looks dark on my monitor. Look at the bottom of any BPN page you will see the monitor cal strip. You should be able to see each square edge clearly, especially the last square on each end.

I see some noice also running some noise reduction would really help in this regard.

Robert

Mike Moats
05-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey Cheryl, I think you did a good job overall on this image. As Robert points out it is slightly on the dark side. Good details and comp.

Cheryl Flory
05-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Thank you, Mike and Robert. I now see the noise, probably because I had to crop way in. I didn't expect to have as much fun photographing little flowers in the woods, but it was a great experience and I am looking forward to trying to get the trout lilies in bloom! Thank you for the help.

Mike Moats
05-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey Cheryl I see your from my area, so you should have lots to shoot, trillium, spring beauty, jack in the pulpit, marsh marigolds. I've been shooting all of these the last couple of days.

John Cooper
05-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Incredible looking flower Cheryl - first saw this species in one of Mike's recent posts. The leaves almost form a hood over the flower!! A little more light in the curled leaves would improve the image, but well seen!!

Cheryl Flory
05-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes, Mike. I just signed up for a tour through a new woods with a wildflower photographer tomorrow. I hope he is good. I am very much looking forward to it. I am trying to improve my photography but its just been kind of hit and miss with wildflowers.