PDA

View Full Version : Magee Marsh, Ohio - Advice ?

Joe Austin
04-29-2013, 02:17 PM
I am considering heading up to Magee for May 12-18th. I know the 'big week' will be over so hopefully some of the crowds will have diminished. I have never been there before and have only scattered warbler shots in my files. Is it worth a 7hr drive and a week's stay? Would love to get some thoughts from those who have spent time there.

Doug West
05-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Joe...found another web site...

http://mageemarsh.org/

According to the site, the 2nd and 3rd weeks of May are best. There are also some photographs
on this site that shows you how crowded it can be.

Doug

Joe Austin
05-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks, Doug. I have seen that site, just kinda wondering if those crowd shots represent peak crowds or a typical day.

Also found this..

http://cranecreekbirding.blogspot.com/

for activity reports and predictions.

Doug West
05-03-2013, 12:17 AM
I think that's what separates us bird photographers from the bird watchers.

If there is going to be a big crowd, it tends to come as the day gets later, which is
primarily the bird watching crowd.

Usually when they start arriving I'm about ready to leave cause I've been there at
first light.

My advice is to get there at first light (I'm pretty sure they open at dawn). The
earlier you can get there, the better choice you'll have to look around.

The later you get there, the more you'll have to deal with both the bird photographer
and bird watcher crowd.

BTW, if you're going to be at Magee on May 10, let me know. That's when my group
is going up. Unfortunately, we won't be there until around 9am.

Doug

Joe Austin
05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
I definitely plan on being there at fist/last light. I guess I won't mind the crowds if the birds are there. I won't be getting up there until afternoon on the 11th. Good luck with your group.

Doug West
05-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Just got back from Magee. Man, it was crowded...kinda. When you first get there you see pretty much
the whole parking lot filled up. Then once you hit the boardwalk, it depends. Some areas there's a crowd
if somebody has spotted something spectacular (normally, near the beginning of the boardwalk). After
that, getting around isn't to bad.

There were a few with tripods and the big lenses, but I still think its better to have a walk around lens
in the 300-400mm range, simply cause you can be more mobile.

As far as the number of birds/warblers. There were quite a few, but they mostly hang out far away, but
a few do get close enough to get a good shot or two.

There's two entrances to the boardwalk. Most people take the entrance near the end of the parking lot
and come out toward the pond. If you do that, on the last part of the boardwalk, you might see some
Baltimore Orioles on your left (you'll see Davis Besse and the pond on your right).

Doug

Dave Chmielewski
05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I was there on Tuesday. Crowds have eased off (in the morning). Birds still strong. Woodcock also on the nest in the area. I'll be back in a week to see what's left over.

Joe Austin
05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
I was at Magee from the 11th through the 17th. Bird activity was very strong Sat-Tuesday, but dropped off dramatically on Wed, worse on Thursday, by Friday everyone was walking around and just shrugging at each other. Myself and a few other photographers packed it in. Was great for the first four days though. I definitely plan to return.