PDA

View Full Version : Osprey

Amy Kay
04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
I have been borrowing a friend's 2.8 with the option to buy but while trying to adjust myself to hand holding the extra weight (as compared to my f/4), I clipped the right wing. I liked this crop but let me know what you think!

D800, 300 f/ 2.8 w/1.4, f/8, 1/3200, ISO 800

Miguel Palaviccini
04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Amy,

Looks like you shot this in some overcast light. Nice and soft (the light, not the photo). I like the crop, and would see what other compositions might look like as well.

I would add a touch of contrast if it were mine, and might also take a look at a bit tighter crop.

Miguel

Marina Scarr
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
The 300/2.8 is a great lens but better for wildlife than bird photography in my opinion. Exposure is good but I wish to see more details. Maybe it needs a little more sharpening. This crop isn't working for me, especially on the far wing. I would crop tighter. If you would like to post your original, I would be happy to see what we can come up with for an alternate crop.

arash_hazeghi
04-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Hi Amy, nice close up and intense stare from the osprey. Marina beat me to this one, the issue here is the far wing position, it needs to be fully up as Marina suggested for this kind of crop to work.

Randy Rimland
04-30-2013, 06:54 AM
nice closeup but it looks hazy and I don't like the crop, when i miss a wing i like to crop tighter still to make it look like i didn't miss the wing by accident:S3:

Daniel Cadieux
04-30-2013, 09:34 AM
I like the in-your-face comp and I also like the BG with a touch of blue sky showing. Cropping a bit more at left to rid the appearance of the feather skimming the edge at upper corner would be better (cutting it about halfway along would work), and I agree with a bit more sharpening for web (the image is properly focused, good job with that!)