500mm
Manual mode + Evaluative metering
ISO 1600
f/5.6
1/1600

Randy Stout
04-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Joel:

Very nice close up of a bird that doesn't usually allow them. Sharp and well exposed.

There is a noticeable halo around the entire bird. I might consider just a sliver more room on the right.

What are you using to attract him in so close? I have had no luck bringing them in, despite a number in my area, and lots of other woodpeckers at the feeders.

Thanks for the picture and any tips you can provide.

Cheers

Randy

vishaljadhav
04-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Man thats close for any woodpecker image,

I like the details on this one, something must have gone astray while processing causing the halo which is more noticeable in the under part then above.

Love the way its presented.

Joel Eade
04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the comments....I did not see the halo until I tilted my monitor....don't know how it got there but I would presume from sharpening.

Randy I have a similar situation here...lots of woodpeckers but the Pileated have always kept their distance. I have tried audio....they will make a low flying pass quite often but seem to land high in a nearby tree. I am feeding suet, sunflower seeds and a nut mix from WalMart. This is the first time in 4 years of trying that I was successful in getting one in close....not really sure why.

Repost....hopefully with less halo and more space on right

vishaljadhav
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Joel,
The Repost is fantastic making the image go right to the top. i love the grey on the wings in the Repost , its wonderful bird , very nicely done

Troy Lim
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Repost looks great, I would consider darken the upper corner a bit as the brightness is taking away the focus on how stunning the bird looks.

PhilCook
04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Great portrait Joel, these birds are so photogenic and i wish they existed here. Light and extra fine detail is excellent, like the slightly open beak and ultra smooth backdrop...re post has addressed the halo nicely......top shot Joel

Ashley Cohen
04-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Reposted shot looks great, though I did like some of the sharpness the original had, shame about the halo on the original. Did you use High Pass sharpening to sharpen the image? I tried it recently and although the sharpness was good it did cause a bit of haloing or rather dark edges. A Gulls White feathers against the blue of the water created quite a dark line along the feathers.

Karl Egressy
04-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Great portrait shot. Love the details and background. Such a great opportunity.

MohsenVahedipour
04-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Excellent portrait with lot of details. Lovely BG.

Jim Crosswell
04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Excellent image Joel! I like the sharpness, details, BG and composition. Repost looks better to me.

Michael Rominger Jr
04-29-2013, 10:15 PM
What an awesome portrait of a bird that is so hard to get close to! We have them scattered around my farm and of course I see them while I'm out hunting but if I have my camera they are nowhere to be found! I like the repost and agree about darkening the BG slightly. Sharpness was good in the OP but the halo did detract. I've been having issues with that myself lately. Once again beautiful!