PDA

View Full Version : Double-crested Cormorant

Amy Marques
04-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Taken in company with the magnificent Captain James on the Hooptie Deux, Dot-Dash Island.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, EF400mm f/5.6L USM, 1/2000 sec @ f/8, ISO 640.

Marina Scarr
04-26-2013, 05:26 PM
So nice to have you back posting again , Amy. Glad to see you got out with Capt James, and it's fun to see a variety of birds coming out of Hooptie Deux trips...not that we don't love the spoonies.

I like your flight position on this one. I am not usually a fan on squarish crops, but this one works just right.

Troy Lim
04-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Exposure looks great, hope you had a great time. That is one good spot to shoot.
I'd like to see a tad more room on upper left.

PhilCook
04-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Lovely glossy blacks coming through on this one Amy, sharp focus and you've captured the green eye very nicely....all looks very nice against the blue sky....myself i feel it could use a bit more canvas left and top

Nick Palmieri
04-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Nice pose and capture. Nicely placed in the frame!

jack williamson
04-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Fine exposure and wing positions, sharp and the sky is very good.

James Shadle
04-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm glad to see you back and participating! And it was a pleasure working with / for you.
Cormorants are not the easiest species to photograph. You did a nice job on this one.
Nice and sharp, well exposed with interesting wing and body positions.

Rather than adding canvas or changing the dimensions, I felt the subject in a slightly different position in the frame would make it an even stronger image.127636

vishaljadhav
04-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Nice image, getting right exposure on these in flight is a challenge and you nailed it pretty well

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-27-2013, 09:08 AM
You did great with the exposure here Amy. Its nice to see you posting and I enjoyed shooting with you. I love how you got a great look at that beautiful eye and nice light under the wings. I like how you composed this but wonder if cropping from bottom and right side might help off center the bird more.

Amy Marques
05-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Thank you all for the great comments. I agree that adding more space to the left would make it more appealing. Not caring much about square crops myself, I thought it might work in this case because of the squarish body flight position of the bird. I do believe you nailed the composition, James. What an improvement!!! Many thanks.