PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Eiger

Steve Kaluski
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Firstly, many thanks to those who commented on my last posting. :wave:

Still just trying to get my head around the world of 'Landscapes', but I quite like this, taken as the very tip of the Eiger started to become visible in the cloud. I thought the toning added a bit more 'theatre' to the image, but could be wrong?

Steve
Subject: Emerging Eiger
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/800s at f/9 ISO400 0 stop compensation

Anette Mossbacher
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
This looks great. I love that the tip is in the sun and just jumps in your face, including the left white cloud. Where have you been standing ? Not in Grindelwald! Ah right, you have been jumping high :bg3:

I would tone down the left bright cloud a bit and the tip of the mountain more lighter with contrast. The clouds for sure can be done more dramatic, if you want to have it more dramatic, of course!
But why not in B&W ?

;Have a great evening and weekend

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
04-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi Steve - I like these moody, mountain images of yours a lot and couldn't resist playing again. I felt the cyans were a little strong especially in the cloud below the mountain. So I dropped them a little, then I did a levels adjustment bringing left slider in 10 points and right in 5, then I burned the two brightest clouds at 6% and finally applied LCE at 10,20,0. Just a different take but I obviously wasn't there but I like the additional detail it brought out in the sky. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

Rachel Hollander
04-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Looks like I may have done the change a bit too quickly and brought out some noise in the lower cloud.

Steve Kaluski
04-27-2013, 03:37 AM
Thank you ladies for your feedback and RP Rachel. I guess my thinking with the clouds and the contrast behind having some very bright areas was having seen the Turner exhibition, (the painter) and how interpreted things, as I quite like the idea with the clouds. As to whether it works I have no idea, but feel I want to retain that as the areas are not blow, but retain some tone giving contrast to the image. I like the idea of going darker, but still want to retain again detail, so I've used my midtone and two channel Curve adjustments, one for the blacks, the other for the whites, but working from the mid tone area only and inverting where required. Not sure if this answers the suggests, please feel free to add more thoughts.

Rachel, this is Split toning, I've upped the yellow but again still like the Blue hue. :w3

Thanks again.

cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi Steve - thanks for explaining the inspiration and thought process. I understand about the duotone and the blue hue and it works. This is one of those images that you can have several different tonings and swap them based on your mood or even hang them side by side by side as an installation. The moody light is just great.

:cheers:,
Rachel

Don Railton
04-28-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi Steve, this works well for me. I particularly like the right peak with the sun on it and the way the cloud is attaching to the back side of the mountain. It looks like the peak is ripping into the cloud much like the bow of a boat rips into waves. I think I like your RP best, but its close...DON

dankearl
04-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Steve, I like the version in pane 5 and the comp works for me, although maybe a bit off the top.
It does appear to have some noise, maybe compression?

Vivaldo Damilano
04-29-2013, 02:51 AM
Hi Steve, great to see you are trying landscape like me :bg3: I enjoy the mood in this image and prefer Rachel's RP. The RP has more contrast and is more dramatic. Look forward to see more, nice work.

Andrew McLachlan
05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi Steve, love the mountain peak cutting through the clouds...I really like Rachel's repost with clouds along the bottom edge being a little darker and your repost in Pane #5 is a close second. I could also see this as a B&W for an alternate version. Must have been amazing to be up there and witness this scene.