PDA

View Full Version : Chitabe Leopardess

Brendon Cremer
04-26-2013, 03:34 AM
We were very fortunate to have so fantastic leopard viewing on our recent photo safari to Chitabe camp in the Okavango Delta, Botswana.This Particularly beautiful young female,was resting in the shade after eating her fill of an impala kill that she had stolen from a cheetah the evening before.

Camera NIKON D800
Focal Length 380mm 200-400 F4 VR
Shutter Speed 1/1000 sec
Aperture f/6.3
ISO 900

Rachel Hollander
04-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Hi Brendon - gorgeous leopard and image. It all works for me. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
04-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi Brendon,

great image of the Leopard. In the shadows along the body, right leg and in the BG I see a bit blue cast. Maybe you want to remove that!
Looks great :bg3:

Have a great weekend

Ciao
Anette

Marina Scarr
04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Lovely portrait. Her ears sure look a bit mangled.

Lyle Gruby
04-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Very pretty portrait, agree with the blue cast, nice work with the highlights.

Michael Rominger Jr
04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Nice image Brendon! That face and those eyes just draw you in. Like the perspective. Excellent detail from the D800 and it looks to have handled the varied exposure between sun and shade well.

Steve Kaluski
04-27-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi Brendon, I am pretty sure this is the same Leopard I photographed in the green canopy and also in similar position, but tighter when I was in Chitabe. :S3:

Is this FF, or cropped? Personally I feel it's a little too tight and if you have it, then a bit more air for the subject to breathe would be good. I also think having a bit more to the right as viewed would strengthen the posture and place the leopard a bit more off centre to, but just my take. Looks like I'm not alone in picking up the Blue cast, easily fixed. I would, if you have time, explore just darkening the BKD a bit more, especially behind her head. The slight magenta/red in the chin and cheek is from the previous nights kill I assume? Nice techs and I like the dapple light.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
04-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Nice head-on stare here Brendon.
I agree on the blue/cyan cast. Great exposure in a tricky light situation. This must look great at the high resolution of the D800 - how have you enjoyed shooting with it? An interesting camera for sure, you need to tame it lest it tames you :w3.

Did you lighten the eyes in post?

Brendon Cremer
05-02-2013, 03:08 AM
Thanks all for your great comments and suggestions, will deal with the blue cast for sure and play around with a few other suggestions.

Morkel, the D800 is my new best friend it is a stunning camera, a wee tad slow and focus a bit temperamental or rather different from most other Nikons so take a little getting used to but got it taped now.