PDA

View Full Version : Ruffed Grouse

Jim Thomas
04-25-2013, 04:32 AM
Not a great picture but I was so excited to get this bird in focus with all the twiggery that I had to share with someone who understands the challenge! I still might play with it. Would it be so bad if the branch passing through his head was gone?

Jim

380mm, 6.3, 200/sec, iso 800

PhilCook
04-25-2013, 05:45 AM
Amazing looking bird and sharp detail, and yes can appreciate that so many times birding is terribly frustrating. I guess it comes down to what you do birding for...for me getting any new species is how I get my kicks, myself I would rather a less than perfect image of a new or rare bird than a tech perfect of a common species.....so in respect of that = " well done sir " . I have frequently traveled hundreds of miles here and there across Australia to capture an image of some special species only to come back frustrated in not getting the " stick " free image....but still very pleased to of added another to my collection....it's my " thing "

However onto the improvement scenario......

I do feel though the brighter branch running across the back of the head is the main short coming of this one. With clever PS clone work to remove that branch and the smaller one across the neck would make this so much better.

Marina Scarr
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
This is a tough one, Jim. .I can only imagine your elation at having seen and captured this gorgeous bird. I agree with your assessment that it's the large branch running through the back of the bird's head that hurts this image the most. The ones over the head can pretty easily be removed with the J tool. Maybe if you get back out there, the grouse will give you another chance>

Karl Egressy
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
It's a little busy but I like the colours and pattern.

jack williamson
04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Great advice by Phil and Marina. You did very well to get this bird as sharp as you did amongst the clutter. Awesome patterns in the feathers.

Jim Thomas
04-27-2013, 04:06 AM
This is a tough one, Jim. .I can only imagine your elation at having seen and captured this gorgeous bird. I agree with your assessment that it's the large branch running through the back of the bird's head that hurts this image the most. The ones over the head can pretty easily be removed with the J tool. Maybe if you get back out there, the grouse will give you another chance>

What's a J tool? This is only the second time i,ve seen one at eye level. Usually they are flying away just before I step on them, or high in the treetops eating buds.
Thanks again,
Jim