PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer

Nancy Bell
04-24-2013, 10:50 PM
There is a herd of Mule Deer that like to come around and check out my bird feeders. Several of them have learned how to suck sunflower seeds through the holes and can completely empty the feeder http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/smilies/Whoa%21.png! Then the younger deer clean up what falls on the ground. This was taken just a few days ago during yet another April snowstorm, from my front steps. This is a youngster from last year.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 1/3200, f6.3, ISO 800, exp. comp +2/3

All comments and critiques most appreciated.

Steve Kaluski
04-25-2013, 03:23 AM
Hi Nancy, if you have it, then a bit more image below for the virtual legs would help and you could then move the whole crop down, however I do like the almost 'airbrushed' area around the legs, portraying the drifting snow. I don't think you needed such a high ISO based on your SS, any particular reason? The main subject is quite contrasty and based on the techs I would have expected a bit more clarity overall in Mule Deer. The intersection of the ear is not ideal, however it's not a deal breaker, as the muted colours do help to 'knock it' back.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
04-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Hi Nancy,

you still have snow, oh gosh !! :S3:
Very nice deer image,they are quite smart :w3
Steve has said it all already. I thought that it might be a little over sharpened, just my thought!

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
04-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Hi Nancy - I heard about the snow storm on the news here. I too like the angle of the deer and the way the legs disappear into the snow. Steve has made his usual spot on observations and I agree with Anette about it being oversharpened. I would prefer more room both below and a little to the lhs too.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
04-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys for your help. Easy to add more to the bottom and left side. No good reason for the high ss, just difficult to see info easily or quickly with trifocals :eek3:, while the animals are moving around. The clarity was also an issue with the Prairie Dogs and I'm not sure what to do differently. This is my biggest concern and frustration.

Jonathan Ashton
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Nancy, I am not reading previous comments, I am still picking up tips from my comments to see if anyone agrees or disagrees;
I like the composition though I think the crop may be a little tight.
The deer look to me to be over-sharpened and the contrast seems high, I get the impression it has a little too much punch and needs taming a bit, sort of in keeping with the sense that deer are gentle creatures (even if they aren't always!)
I am not sure if a little eye doctoring has been applied, perhaps it was the angle of the sun but the eye looks a little glassy.??
The snow is very bright, I am sure you will have checked it but I would be tempted to make it a little less bright.

Morkel Erasmus
04-25-2013, 06:48 PM
I won't rehash what others have said Nancy. I do like the feel/mood here, and would like to see a repost with some suggestions that you feel are applicable applied?

Nancy Bell
04-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the specific advice. Jonathon, the eye had a snowflake over it and I did attempt to make it go away. I will rework this deer and repost.