PDA

View Full Version : Snake's head fritillary

Jonathan Ashton
04-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Tripod Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro, MLU, Cable, ISO 100, +2.0 EV, 1.3 sec f16, fill in flash - 1.6
This fritillary was growing nearby the garden pond, there was no way on earth I was going to get a decent shot of it in situ so I blamed Barney for knocking it over, then I took it in and photographed it.:S3:

Jerry van Dijk
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
HI Jonathan, very pleasing composition, these are very photogenic flowers. I thought the image could use a little more contrast, specifically the flower head against the white background. I found that there was some room left on the left part of the histogram, so applied a simple levels adjustment. See how you like the result.
I hope you planted this flower yourself. The wild version is listed as vulnerable on the Red Data List for the UK..... It is very rare in The Netherlands as well, I know of only two places where you can find it in the wild.

Anette Mossbacher
04-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi Jonathan,

what a lovely flower, never have seen those here in Swissyland. Jerry addressed already what I was thinking of it when I saw your image. Very well done.

Ciao
Anette

Jerry van Dijk
04-24-2013, 03:45 PM
what a lovely flower, never have seen those here in Swissyland.

Anette

Hi Anette, they do occur in Switzerland, although there too they seem to be rare. See this article I found on the Internet: http://www.jardinsuisse.ch/fileadmin/pdf_files/2008pdf/PDF_08_07/07_08_34.pdf

Jonathan Ashton
04-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the comments I agree a little more contrast helps. The plant was planted in the garden from cultivated stock, I intend for there to be a small meadow of them over the forthcoming years.

Jerry van Dijk
04-25-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi Jon, that sounds lovely! And it will provide you with ample photo opportunities in the coming years. The natural meadows where these species grow here attract hundreds of visitors and photographers each year. Pretty cool for one plant species.

Norm Dulak
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi Jonathan.

Sorry to be so late in commenting on this, but it is beautiful. I've never seen this flower before, but the way you've captured it is elegant. I like the green green shoot that gracefully curves toward the flower. And the flower itself reminds me of the Tiffany lampshades of old. Very nice!

Norm

Steve Maxson
04-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Jon. Very cool "studio" shot of an interesting flower! Nicely set up and composed. Jerry's repost makes an interesting alternative - though I like the OP as well - I think it depends on the look you are going for. Very well done!

Jonathan Ashton
04-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Thanks very much everyone.

vishaljadhav
05-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Wonderful composition , i am ok with both the versions and the OP didn't get me to think of anything other than " What a fantastic composition" everything was really secondary for me when i saw it the first time.
really lovely setup and a classical composition.

Arthur Morris
05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Love the simplicity, the high key look, the image design, and the repost. Oh, yeah, and the flower too.