PDA

View Full Version : Falklands Island Oystercatcher

Jay Gould
04-23-2013, 08:42 PM
I know, it has been many months of many Sundays since I posted!

I processed this Oystercatcher by bringing out more of the feather detail; too much?

I have also posted the RAW because in a far off land many aliens :Whoa!: have suggested that they prefer the unprocessed version. Hearing that I said I was going to the "source"!

BTW, Hello; I will be sticking around for awhile - missed you all!!

Canon 7D; 300 f/2.8 + 2X = 960mm; 1/1250@f/5.6; ISO 400; 3:20PM

Jay Gould
04-23-2013, 08:43 PM
This is the RAW. I thought the blacks were too blocked even though I was not at "0" on the histogram. I wanted some more detail.

James Shadle
04-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Hello Jay and welcome home.:S3:
I prefer the RAW version, the processed image is too bright.
It looks like the image was created with the sun high and harsh. It's tough enough to photograph a "black and white" subject in soft light, really tough in harsh light.
On the positive side, it sure looks like you can create sharp images with that body/ lens/ converter combination.

If you get a chance try this subject again early or late in the day and see how you like the detail then.
While you try this subject again, back up some or take your 2x off, much too tight for my taste:w3.

Looking forward to more of your images and forum participation.

Don Nelson
04-24-2013, 12:02 AM
I too prefer the raw version -- perhaps reprocessing the raw again would help further. Good to see you posting again.

Jay Gould
04-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks; I like the sound of "home".

The sun was high and harsh; when you travel that far you make every minute count.

I no longer have that lens/converter; medical issues resulted in lightening the load. Currently I have the 7D with the 70-300; looking forward to seeing what the new 7D + the new 100-400 looks like at the end of the year.

I am sure I will get the chance to shoot shore birds again; just not in the Falklands.

We are going to be in New Orleans for the New Years Holidays; then to Florida for most of January into February. We are booked on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale 2/'14.

Mate, thanks for the kind words. Cheers, Jay