PDA

View Full Version : The Eye Of A Tiger........

Ritesh Nangare
04-23-2013, 07:52 AM
This is the First Post of mine in Wildlife section .....

After three months time i am visiting to TATR ( Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserved ) , Tadoba Is very promising and upcoming tiger reserved ..... the tigers sighting are very good in tadoba and it will never disappoint you. i all most sighted a tiger in my every ride .....i had only 8 rides but got around 4000 pics in that almost of them are tigers.

For this image i didn't have to do much the tiger cube walks from the waterhole and cross the road from behind my jeep. in between i took this set of the image with 500mm on-board and in the excitement of the tiger i forget to take my 100-400 and 7D and shoot all the images from 500mm .....just manage the MFD of my lens.

This is an full frame image of a wild tiger standing 10-15 feet from us not a single pixel crop, just re size to manage the guidelines of the forum.

Hope you all like it........

here are the exif.

Camera Model Canon EOS-1D X
Shooting Date/Time 04/19/13 6:45:41 PM
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/640
Av(Aperture Value) 9.0
ISO Speed 1000
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS II USM
Focal Length 500.0mm

Rachel Hollander
04-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Hi Ritesh and welcome to the Wildlife Forum. A very impressive and different first post. Well done with nice detail and sharpness looks good too. If it were mine, I would crop some from the left and below to put the eye in the Rule of Thirds position but more so to have the left edge on the bridge of the nose rather than having the tiny bit of the other eye socket creeping in. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi Ritesh, another warm welcome to the Forum.

Certainly an impressive opening image and we need to see more 'orange' cats being posted, so this is most welcome. :cheers:

Something like this has to be absolutely pin sharp and I think if you add some more, selective sharpening to the lighter inner part of the eye it will help. You have the definition and form in the darker part nicely portrayed,as quite often this is easily filled in. If this is f/9 then I would think there would be more 'subtle' detail within the fur around the eye/head area itself. I love the marking and richness of the colours, they look spot on. Cropping this is a difficult one, I agree with Rachel's comment on coming in on the LHS, but it may create a slight imbalance, so I think it might be a careful juggling act, although if this is FF then you don't have too much to play with. I might have preferred the eye to have been a little higher up in frame? IMHO, forgetting the 7D and lens was a good mistake. :bg3:

Based on the file I guess you are using Canon's DPP, you might like to check out Arash Hazeghi (Avian Mod) as he has produced a PDF to deal with the 1DX and high ISO which may help.

TFS and look forward to more.
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Ritesh,

great image you have here. Never have been that close to a Tiger in front of my PC :bg3:
You got here already a bunch of good suggestions from Steve & Rachel
I am also glad that you forgot about your 7D :w3

Have a great day

Ciao

Anette

Ritesh Nangare
04-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Hi Ritesh and welcome to the Wildlife Forum. A very impressive and different first post. Well done with nice detail and sharpness looks good too. If it were mine, I would crop some from the left and below to put the eye in the Rule of Thirds position but more so to have the left edge on the bridge of the nose rather than having the tiny bit of the other eye socket creeping in. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

TFS,
Rachel
firest of all thanks Rachel Hollander,Steve Kaluski,Anette Mossabacher for your comments and sudgessions ...... according all the messages above i crop the little bit to get the rule of thirds hope you all like it

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Ritesh and welcome to thwe wildlife forum . I like where you were going with the image and the close crop idea. I think you would have nailed the effect if you had total dof on the entire face. I am with Steve on prefferring the eye to be higher in the frame at the top rule of thirds but that would have to be a totally new shot:)

Anette Mossbacher
04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi Ritesh, your RP looks much better :bg3:

Ciao

Anette

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Ritesh I have another option, not ideal, but... may I post it?

Just for the record, Ritesh did fwd the RAW, I have had a quick look and hope to RP. One point of note, having looked at the RAW it's not going to be spot on, as the focus point is to the right of the eye and so 'critical sharpness' may be a little off sadly.

cheers
Steve

Nancy Bell
04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
What an awesome experience! I really like this extreme "in-your-face" view and that the eye is looking straight out at the viewer. Mesmerizing. I find myself studying the interesting rings of color in the eye & the amazing patterns of fur around the eye. Nature creates such beauty!

I have also been to TATR and had a wonderful time.

Steve Canuel
04-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Welcome. The eye certainly does draw your attention. I prefer the tighter repost.

Michael Rominger Jr
04-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Ritesh, I'll echo what some of the others have mentioned here. First off lovely and interesting shot! Must be quite an experience to be so close to such a beautiful but powerful animal. I like what you are doing with this image. I beleive the repost has helped improve the image from what I see in the OP. I beleive the crop has strengthened the comp. I do agree, the focus seems to be ever so slightly off the eye which takes some detail away from such a close shot with limited dof. The shot definitly draws me in though and it works for me!

Morkel Erasmus
04-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome here Ritesh! :5
I'm late to the party but better late than never. Great first post, and some good discussion already had up above.
I like your 2nd crop...and too wish for more DOF on the bridge of the nose. Steve's comment on where the focus point was makes sense.
Let's see some more tiger shots! :cheers: