PDA

View Full Version : Dual State Sunrise

Allen Sklar
04-22-2013, 08:23 PM
The Maryland and Virginia border on Assateague Island is marked by a line of poles that extend into the Atlantic Ocean. What a beautiful Morning it was, the colors were crazy beautiful.

Hazel Grant
04-22-2013, 08:41 PM
The lower reflection completes the comp. nice

Don Railton
04-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Hello Allen.

It is usual to include the Exif data, assists in better critiques... Very nice colour you have captured here, Bur not so sure about the pole disappearing out the top of the frame. Leads the eye out of the picture..... Like Hazel I agree the lower reflection helps balance the image.

DON

Allen Sklar
04-23-2013, 03:26 AM
Sorry about the data, it is included in the image, I'm so used to right clicking to get it I forgot.
D300, 17-55 2.8 @ 28mm 1/160

Anette Mossbacher
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Beautiful light and image Allen. I do not mind much about the post leading out of the image, but at it, a tiny bit. Just me :S3:
The light is fantastic and the colors much more. The upper LHS, did you try to add to that light blue sky/color a bit more to a darker blue. Would give it a try, might suits.
As well a gradient for the sky might gives the colors a boost. Just my thoughts!

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
04-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Looks like an intense sunrise indeed Allen!
I think the whites and yellows are clipped in the sky and if possible I would look at bringing back a darker exposure (if you have it) to save some detail there without losing the mood.
I can't help but wonder if you'd shot some "wider" angles than this with the poles a bit less prominent?

Looking forward to more of your work here... :cheers:

Arthur Morris
05-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Loverly colors and reflections and sharp. You were in the right spot at the right time but I think that you missed the boat..... The main problem is that the tallest pole on the right is too close to the center. In all kinds of photography strong vertical elements in or near the center of horizontals are image wreckers.... Here there is (or was at the time) an obvious solution. If you had taken maybe three big steps to your left and pointed the camera to the left so that the large pole was near the right frame edge this would have been a real winner. In addition to the greatly improved composition the brightest portion of the sky would have fallen at the end of the line of poles and the tallest pole would have been set in front of the highest/tallest part of the red cloud....

Andrew McLachlan
05-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Allen, great advice given above already. Such a beautiful sunrise. If you had taken the three steps to the left as Arthur suggests, you would also minimize the number of poles that are merging with one another.

Allen Sklar
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the advice, it is exactly what I need to improve my landscape thought process. Again, thank you for the comments. allen