PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Marsh

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2013, 05:16 PM
On Friday I made the drive out to Tiny Marsh Provincial Wildlife Area near my home in Ontario to see how things were shaping up for this year. I did not have long as storm clouds were rolling in quickly. Upon seeing this scene with the reflections in the water, the leafless trees, and clouds would make for a nice B&W image. I had time for a few frames before the rains came in heavy.

Nikon D800
Nikon 12-24mm @ 24mm
ISO 400
f11 @ 1/50 sec
Mirror-lock and cable release

Look forward to comments

James Fuller
04-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice reflection. I think B&W was a great choice for this image!

Did you add the texture to the water?

Don Railton
04-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi Andrew

I like the image design, but I think the grass/sticks bordering the water are too sharp or too contrasty or something... I think I would prefer to see this all softened up a little..

DON

Vivaldo Damilano
04-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Andrew like the composition and B&W conversion works very nicely. I also think the grass is to sharp and contrastly.

Anette Mossbacher
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi Andrew, I as well like the comp and reflection. I agree with the others that the grass, trees are on a little harsh side.

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Andrew McLachlan
04-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the comments folks....much appreciated. I will look at toning down the contrast a little on the grasses and such.

Morkel Erasmus
04-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Hey Andrew, good to see some more photos from you. :5
I like the idea here and the conversion seems suitable, but the detail overall at the size/sharpening posted is very crunchy. I personally think this would work better with a softer feel, perhaps almost a soft-focus approach to get rid of the jarring detail? Hope it makes sense?
:e3

Rachel Hollander
04-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi Andrew - nice to see you posting some landscapes. I like your vision here of the vertical comp, reflection and b&w conversion. I agree about the the trees looking oversharpened/contrasty. Definitely worth reworking.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
04-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks Rachel and Morkel for the additional comments, much appreciated. I am very busy these days with various things but will try to make my way over here more often than I have been lately.