PDA

View Full Version : Backpack selection

Ian Cassell
04-22-2013, 03:51 PM
OK, now that I have my Canon 500/4 (version 1), I'm looking for a way to carry it without using the hard case -- in a way that, hopefully, will fit a pro body (although all I have now is my 7D), another couple of lenses (maybe a 70-200/2.8) and a tripod. I really don't need to travel with the lens mounted on the body. I do want it to fit on the carryon compartment of most domestic flights (I don't travel internationally very often). I've narrowed down my hunt to 3 or 4 bags and am trying to make up my mind. They are all expensive, but so is the gear, so that is not my main concern. I want comfort and safety for my gear.

1) Lowepro 500 aw
2) Gura Gear 26L or 32L
3) Kata (not sure which bag suits).

I'd appreciate any thoughts and any possible additions to my short list.

Thanks.

Grace Scalzo
04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Ah, the eternal quest for the perfect bag. I've had three that I have liked. Think Tank Airport Security (great, but too heavy for me to lift into the o/h compartment by myself), Think Tank Ultra Light (Bought when I traveled on a boat where bags with wheels were not allowed). This one was my go-to bag for a long time, but is limited in size. Recently bought and traveled with a Gura Gear Bag 32L which is great but costly. It's only draw back is that it does not have wheels which for getting around an airport are needed, so I used a trolley for this, and also, no place to put a laptop. This is not a problem for me as I always carry a second bag. If at all possible, try and see, feel, touch, carry, and maybe even pack some gear in each of your considerations before finding the one that suits your needs. Hope this helps.

Ian Cassell
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks, Grace. Yes, I did forget to mention Think Tank on my list. The Gura 32 is a bit long for international flight limits (21" vs 20" I think). Can it be squished down if I do travel abroad? Of course I got rid of my trolley a while back since all of my suitcases have wheels -- que sera, sera. Did you look at the 26L?

Unfortunately, this will probably need to be sight unseen -- I don't have many bird photographer colleagues around with 500's.

I have a smaller Lowe m (the 200, I believe) which I like, but it will not fit the 500.

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi Ian, I know Artie posted an article about his bag and packing the gear recently, you might like to checkout his blog.

Personally I use the Kata bag (205 but this has been superseded now I think), but I get the 500f/4, 300/2.8, two pro bodies, two 1.4x & 2x, cables, card cases, 70-200f/2.8 and anything else. It's tough and been 'round the world' and still going strong. The 500 & 300 lens hoods go into the hold luggage no problem. It's constructed well and has a separate rain cover and it doesn't look like a camera bag for when travelling through airports.

Sarah Jessup
04-23-2013, 07:59 AM
I have the Gura Gear Kiboko and Nikon equipment, but I can get a 500 lens, body and other lenses in it. It fits under the seat or in the overhead bin, and will hold a computer as well.
Sarah

David Stephens
04-23-2013, 08:38 AM
I use the thinkTank Airport International V 2.0 Rolling Bag. If you'd consider a rolling bag, I've found this great for carrying two bodies, my 500/f4, a 24-105mm, a 70-200mm, along with flash, TCs, ETs and many odds and ends. I've used it for domestic and foreign air travel. The weight can be pretty high when it's full, so I always chose my tT roller bag over my backpack for trips.

Miguel Palaviccini
04-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Ian, I own the Gura Gear 22L (smaller than both of the ones that you listed) and it fit's my 500 just great. They say that it "doesn't fit" a pro sized body, but I found that my D800 + grip + RRS L-bracket fit fine. I chose the 22L over the 26 because of the laptop compartment. If you don't need that, then the 26 is a bit deeper which is nice.

I got my bag for $180 (yep, $200 off the new price) because it was refurbished and didn't come with any dividers. I called Gura Gear and they sold me the dividers for $15.

I've jumped around from quite a few bags. I started with a rolling Lowepro bag (X200 I think), then went to a Thinktank Streetwalker, then Thinktank HD, and finally the Gura Gear 22L (which fits my needs perfectly!). I think the thinktank had a better mechanism for holding the tripod, but the Gura Gear mechanism isn't bad.

Here is a link to the refurbished bag (http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/blog/theyre-here-gura-gear-refurbished-special-21983). Looks like they are out of stock, but you may want to email them to see if they have any extras (that's what I did).

In my 22L I currently have:
Left Side:
D800 + grip + L-bracket
70-200
14-14
50 1.8
55 3.5 macro
1.4x and 2x TC
GPS unit
+ small extras like batteries, etc

Right Side:
500 f/4

Let me know if you want me to take any photos of the bag.

Ian Cassell
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks! Miguel, is that a 70-200/2.8 you have in there in addition to the 500?

Miguel Palaviccini
04-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Yep, the 70-200 2.8 with a rubber screw on hood (they are bigger than the nikon ones, but don't require you to take it off to collapse).

Thanks! Miguel, is that a 70-200/2.8 you have in there in addition to the 500?

Miguel Palaviccini
04-23-2013, 09:18 PM
and my first post should say 14-24 (not 14-24)

Steve Uffman
04-23-2013, 09:50 PM
We have two gura bags and they have been kenya , tanzania, mozambique, alaska, galapagos, peru and more. Never had any problem on any plane. Always as a carryon. I load the kilboki with 500, 1.4& 2x converters on one side and a 1dx and 5diii on the other. On that side i always have a 70-200 and a wide angle. Pockets are loaded with memory caeds, chargers, batteries, cleaning stuff etc.

my wife has the smaller newer bag and carries a 7d, 5dii, and numerious lens. Plus a laptop. Andy b told me the 500 will fit in the smaller bag. Hope so as we have plans for her bag to carry the 500 and me a 600 in mine for an upcoming trip

Ian Cassell
04-23-2013, 09:59 PM
thanks, Steve ... which Guru Gear bag is your smaller? The 26 or the 22?

Steve Uffman
04-23-2013, 10:07 PM
I am sorry. 22. I have found them real durable and comfortable. Hiked the ruins at machu picchu wearing it.

Steve Uffman
04-23-2013, 10:12 PM
A design benefit of the bags imo is the ability to hide the straps. We bought the cross strap accessory and put them on a luggage cart sometimes. Then when we put them in the overhead we easily unclip the cart so it fits

Steve Uffman
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
And one more benefit is that the valley between the butterfly openings is a good place to lay the camera or extra body and lens when riding in boats, or safari vehicle

Grace Scalzo
04-24-2013, 07:31 AM
One great thing about the guragear bataflae design is that in addition to opening it like a butterfly, you can also open the entire top as one and reveal the whole inside, not just half. I found this feature especially helpful when packing.

Miguel Palaviccini
05-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Ian, did you decide on a bag?

Ian Cassell
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Glenn Bartley gave me an excellent price on his used Lowepro Flipside 500 which should get here in the next couple of days. In the best of all worlds, I think my preference would be for the Gura Gear , but I'm economically minded and, for the time being, don't want to sink that much into a bag. I've been very happy with my smaller Lowepro 200, so this should be a well-made bag. If this one doesn't work out for me for the long haul, I can re-think this in the future when something else would be more financially do-able. I'll report back and let you all know what I think of the Lowepro.

Ian Cassell
05-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Well, I got the bag (Lowepro 500AW) from Glenn today (in mint condition, I should mention). I just started playing with it and it takes my 500/4 version I with Canon 1.4X II and 7D mounted. It's a bit snug, but it seems fine. I'm sure I'd have to take the TC off with a pro body (and, since I don't have one, can't say that it would even hold the lens with a pro body mounted). There looks to be room for my 400/5.6 and body as well (or, I presume, a 70-200/2.8). At first try, it seems very comfortable. There's plenty of room for accessories (flash, charger etc.) too. I'll say more as I know more. The one point to make is that, even new, it is considerably less expensive than many of the options and it looks extremely well built.