PDA

View Full Version : Miniture Alpine flower (Macro)

Pete Woods
04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
This was taken a few days ago with my new toy a Canon MP-E65 lens. This was the first try with this lens

Each flower hear is 5mm across, hope you like it

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D X
Lens: MP-E65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo
Image Date: 2013-04-18 14:32 +0000
Focal Length: 65mm
Aperture: f/16.0
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Interfit Ring Flash
Color Space: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Copyright: peter@peterwoodsphotography.co.uk
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (Macintosh)

Jonathan Ashton
04-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Peter, the more I look the more I like it, the flash is very subtle, in fact my first comment was going to be I like the subdued lighting!
I think I would make a mask of the petals and stamens and anthers and apply some noise reduction to the background, I hesitate to use the word "noise" in view of your equipment but the areas beneath the flowers look noisy/grainy, - this may be some kind of compression artefact??
I think I would also consider desaturating the greens just a little bit. other than that I think it is a fine image.

Pete Woods
04-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Jonathan, re edit, started again, not sure why the first ended up with noise but have desaturated after re calibrating my monitor (this made a difference)

Steve Maxson
04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Hi Peter. Nice use of flash - making a very pleasing overall lighting effect! Also, you have good DOF for subjects this small - getting both of the two main flowers mostly sharp. Like Jon, I was puzzled by the pronounced noise in the original given that you used a 1D X and an ISO of only 400. The noise is gone in your repost, but you have lost a little sharpness and sparkle compared to the original. Did you run nr on the whole image or only on the background? If you can combine the sharpness of the original with the noiselessness (is that a word?) of the repost, you will have a very strong image! :S3: I hope to see more of your macro work!

Jonathan Ashton
04-24-2013, 03:03 AM
The repost is much cleaner and I like the desaturated greens, the flowers don't have the detail of the first image. I am trying not to see what Steve has written but I am afraid it is catching my eye as I type, I agree with what he said.

Pete Woods
04-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Final attempt

Jonathan Ashton
04-24-2013, 04:46 PM
That's better! Like it.