PDA

View Full Version : Luminosity Masks - 1st Try

James Fuller
04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
This is a blend of two exposures using luminosity masks. I'm just learning how to use them so it takes longer for me to process images right now compared to using Photomatix, but I am enjoying learning the new method as it has really opened my eyes up to the never ending masking possibilities. Big thanks to Morkel for introducing me to this technique!

Nikon D800, 14-24 @ 16mm, F9, ISO 200, Tripod. Blend of two exposures using luminosity masks.

Comments Appreciated!

Morkel Erasmus
04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
I think this came out really well, James (and you're welcome :5)
The exposure looks quite even and tonal detail and quality looks good. I might burn the shadows in the foreground textures/mounds very slightly (5% or so).
This blending technique can make midtones appear very muddy - there's a section in the sky (to the left of the brightest orange) that looks kind of like this, but I'm not sure if it actually looked like that and is reflected in your RAW exposures as is...?

Morkel Erasmus
04-22-2013, 03:00 PM
PS: an easy way to blend these where there's a clear divide in the middle of the frame with no rocks or trees prodtruding "into" the sky, is to use the grad filter in PS to merely mask out as if you were using a ND filter in shooting
:w3

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Very nice first try James. I also like the placement of the foreground stones and the lovely cloudscape.

James Fuller
04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
PS: an easy way to blend these where there's a clear divide in the middle of the frame with no rocks or trees prodtruding "into" the sky, is to use the grad filter in PS to merely mask out as if you were using a ND filter in shooting
:w3

Thanks for the tip. Also, I struggled processing the left side of the sky...I'll have to play around with it some more.

Don Railton
04-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi James

Looks good. I agree there is a dark band in the LHS (espc the sky) that might be addressed. I like the comp and the colour...

DON

Morkel Erasmus
04-23-2013, 05:11 AM
I would dodge midtones and highlights in that area to see if it improves things.
Then you could add midtone contrast by using the Shadow/Highlight tool - leave shadwo and highlights adjustments at 0 but add between 12 and 20 points midtone contrast at the bottom (you need to open advanced options for that tool).

Vivaldo Damilano
04-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Excellent composition, forground stones and exposure. Sky does look a little odd on the LHS.I like sky patterns of the RHS.

James Fuller
04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The left side of the sky was pretty flat in the RAW, but I did what I could to juice it up some. Hope this looks better than the original.

Jerry van Dijk
04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
HI James, looks very good for a first try! RP has significantly improved the sky. Can you tell us what the structures in the FG are? They almost look like fossil shells.

James Fuller
04-23-2013, 03:04 PM
HI James, looks very good for a first try! RP has significantly improved the sky. Can you tell us what the structures in the FG are? They almost look like fossil shells.

This was taken in the Bisti Badlands of New Mexico. The area is composed of thin layers of coal, silt, shale and mudstone with varying coloration, and are mixed with more resistant sandstone which has eroded into thousand of unique formations. The ones you see here have been named the "egg factory or cracked eggs." Dinosaur fossils have been found in the area, but these are just plain old rocks :w3. Lots to see and photograph here!

dankearl
04-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Another stunner, James.
I like the repost.

Arthur Morris
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Hey James, Great to see you here. Did you sell your long lens? Killer processing job and the repost is ever better. Not hard to imagine the the shapes on the beach are something very strange. The 50-50 image design works well here as both the sky and the beach are quite interesting.