PDA

View Full Version : Molting Horned Grebe...My First Post....

Daniel Cadieux
04-20-2013, 08:03 PM
That is my first post with my new toy...the 500mm f/4 II:S3: I've been saving for a while for one (actually I was saving for a used version 1) and ever the procrastinator I just could not pull myself to actually go ahead and buy one. My wife pointed out that if left up to me I would never do it so she pulled the trigger herself for me by surprise! Boy am I ever indebted to her (and I say this in a good way)!! Anyhow, this morning I was able to take it for a test spin, and oh man what else can I say about this lens but WOW!

Canon 7D + 500mm f4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/5, ISO 800, handheld from prone flat on the ground, natural light, small crop for comp. Audio used to lure the subject closer.

Randy Stout
04-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Daniel:

Major congrats on the new toy, and kudos to your wife!

I like the red eye, angle neck, good shooting angle and comp.

Well exposed and sharp.

Enjoy!

Randy

Karl Egressy
04-20-2013, 08:10 PM
It must be an amazing feeling and I know it is. Congratulations on your new lens Daniel. Wish you that all the bird pose for you and get some great shots.
It is two pounds lighter than the version one and it makes a big difference, and the IQ is better too.
As far as the image is concened it is realy nice. Love the high key presentatin, pose and sharpness.

MohsenVahedipour
04-20-2013, 10:30 PM
My warmest congrats for this lovely toy. Super low angle with excellent IQ & exposure.

Diane Miller
04-20-2013, 10:51 PM
And I thought all your 100-400 stuff was awesome! Expecting to be blown away!

I love the way the subject is floating in the frame. Wonder if a slight color temp adjustment would be better -- it seems on the cool side to me.

Satish Ranadive
04-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Congratulations on your new lens Daniel Sir.
Great start with lovely image with every thing just perfect.
Love the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Simon Wantling
04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Great photo Daniel and congratulations on the new lens. My wife did the same for me with my recent 500mm purchase. I did wear her down though after several years of nagging, but she's very good to me.

Hope you get some great use from it.

David Salem
04-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Great shot of this Grebe. Almost has a high key look to it and the bird is very sharp. A big congrats on the new lens. Tried one out and the weight difference is very marked. Im sure you are going to have a ton of fun with it and if you do as well as you do with the 100-400 then you are going to be very happy. The bokeh cant be beat with this lens.

mohammad reza shahab
04-21-2013, 03:15 AM
excellent low angle,very nice exposure,pose and sharpness.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-21-2013, 03:58 AM
Congrats Dan on the new 500II. Am totally in love with mine! Can't get to use the 100-400 after using this, though
I like that lens too. Will you be selling your 100-400 now that u got the 500? Am agonising weather to sell mine or not!
Great 1 st post with it. Love the angle, the eye & Bokeh.

PhilCook
04-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Good score on the new lens Daniel, just build up those biceps to make the weight easier LOL

Great image, liking very much the high key look, so very smooth overall light tones and like the little bit of water ripple

Chris Martinez
04-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Geee... Now instead of being one of the most skilled and inspirational short lens bird photographers going round, you've joined the pack of long lens users :bg3:
Now that you have an extra 100 to potentially 600mm of focal length I will be watching you very closely with eager anticipation of the work you produce.

Love the composition.
The pose(neck angle?) accentuates the elegance of the bird.
IMO there is a very slight magenta cast.
I'd be inlined to bump the levels(black pointer) a wee bit but that's more of a personal thing.

Katie Rupp
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
WOW! is right, Dan. This is so beautiful; I love the soft feel of the pastel colors, the so smooth look of the almost white water; that very low angle; the pose and of course, the exquisite detail. A great celebration of your new lens. Congrats!

Troy Lim
04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Excellent image, low angle, exposure. Were you just above the water?

Miguel Palaviccini
04-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Awesome news! Can't wait to see what you accomplish with this new lens!!! :)

arash_hazeghi
04-21-2013, 03:17 PM
congrats Dan!!! well deserved

I am sure this will take your photography to the next level! so happy to hear this good new

best

Arash

Marina Scarr
04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
OMG, Daniel, I am SO excited for you!!! How cool of Chantal to pull the trigger for you!!! That is such an awesome gift, and she knows you are going to get a lot of use out of that lens. We all better look out for what comes next!!!

P-A. Fortin
04-21-2013, 04:49 PM
She clearly does not want you around for a while :bg3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Congratulations Daniel. I am jealous you got the version 2! You are gonna love the new reach. I missed these guys this year as they just weren't around. This image is so very sharp and nice and low. Please dont go any lower with that new lens LOL

Doug Brown
04-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Congrats Daniel on an incredible surprise from your lovely wife! You're going to love this lens!