PDA

View Full Version : Hyena

Rachel Hollander
04-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Taken in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa in August 2012. This hyena had stolen the impala kill from the mother leopard and had been feasting on it before we arrived. We had spotted the mother leopard and thought she was off to hunt and followed from a distance. It turned out that what she wanted was to reclaim her prize. We thought that there would be some action but with a full stomach the hyena did not engage and gave up the balance of the kill without a fight. This was as s/he left while keeping an eye on the leopardess. I really like the late afternoon light here.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 155mm
1/320
f6.3
ISO 800
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, cropped for comp, luminosity mask, layers, curves, selective color, dodging, burning and sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Canuel
04-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Like the wary look of the hyena as it leaves the scene. Does look like it's had it's fill. I also like all the grasses and branches. Keeping in mind the time of the shoot, the BG grasses seem a touch too red.

Rachel Hollander
04-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks Steve, hmmm, I already dropped the reds by 20 points, maybe it wasn't enough.

Thanks again,
Rachel

John Ippolito
04-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi Rachel. A note on the red color: looking at the Hyena itself from front to back, maybe you were getting some subtle evening spot lighting effect on the scene that would account for the accentuated reds in the back. Full belly, nice pose, lighting, and a good represntation of the Kruger area bush veld. TFS the story as well.

Tom Graham
04-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Always tough to get the the right color warmth on late afternoon shots (or early morning). Without a visual clue in the image, the viewer will simply assume the color balance is too warm. So a clue in such images is needed to indicate the time of day, type of light. Perhaps long shadows or strong back light. A text explanation of the shot circumstances does not do it for me.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
04-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Hi Rachel, like Steve & John shooting with the thick bush/habitat works well with the subject as it shows the environment these animals live/work in and always the eternal optimist for easy pickings. The swollen stomach must be rather uncomfortable when on the move, like a lot of us, I thought a nice lie down would have been in order. :bg3:

Just a thought, but in this instance doubling your luminosity mask or Sat/Vib to emphasis the warmth could take it up a gear enhancing that 'late afternoon light' you captured, however I would then drop the yellow in saturation and mask it, apply only then to the Hyena say around the neck, belly and lighter areas? Were you fighting for light a little, as I see you were +0.67 EV? Not sure if shooting wider in your DOF may have helped SS too?

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
04-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi Rachel, very nice "well fed" Hyena you have here. I like the light quite much just a tad softer it might would be great. Steve gave you already suggestions :))

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
04-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Here's the original warmer version before I reduced the red and yellows (thinking they were too strong and had the usual Canon skew). I think if printing I would probably go with this version.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Personally I think the RP is better and more in line with the 'time of day' where you get that lovely warm 'golden light'. Like this they blend in so well with the surrounding environment.

Rachel Hollander
04-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Sorry Steve, I just realized I never answered your question about why +.67 EC. We were on the move as were both animals and all were in and out of the shade of the bush so I found that ETTR and on AV worked best with the changing lighting.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-21-2013, 07:34 PM
I prefer the OP Rachel as the repost looks a bit to warm and saturated. You captured such a sinister look and great environment.

Nancy Bell
04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
My vote on the coloring is for the posting in pane #8. It seems more evenly spread on the whole image, producing a more natural look. But most impressive to me is the eye contact and that half-open mouth. It really engages the viewer in the immediate moment.

Morkel Erasmus
04-22-2013, 06:02 PM
I like the light on its face, Rachel. Colour in the RP looks great to me. I rue the fact that there wasn't a tad more separation between subject and BG (but I bet so do you?)...

Rachel Hollander
04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Rachel