PDA

View Full Version : Moosie Moosie

Marina Scarr
04-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Photographed this moose duo in Jackson, WY last early winter. The sun had already set and we were on our way back to the hotel when one of my companions spotted the pair out in the river. There was little to no light, hence the ISO 3200. It was a difficult shoot and difficult to post process b/c of the high ISO and the color cast. Any critiques about my PP would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't look right to me but not sure what the problem is.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L
F5.6, 1/125sec, ISO 3200
On my but with a beanbag on my knees.

Jim Thomas
04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
I really like this, even with the color cast. The white at the top is blinding thoug, could you clone something there or tone it down?

Steve Kaluski
04-20-2013, 04:26 AM
Hi Marina, I very much like the scene here, conveying the wet and cold conditions taken towards the end of the day here.

Not sure if it was possible, but moving the whole crop to the left, putting the subjects more off centre may have given a better balance to the image? Certainly adding a fraction more image to the foot I think would also help. I do like the trailing water from the little one and the inclusion of debris towards the RHS of the legs.

Without seeing the RAW it's sometimes difficult to know just what tweaks the image may need or direction, as quite often it's just a WB issue coupled with some tweaks in H/S/L too. Also if the fur/coat is wet, this coupled with the highish ISO can create a few more headaches in processing and the fur does look a little solid & patchy in various areas. I think Morkel has a few thoughts on extracting the best from high ISO images, might be worth dropping him a line. This is, in no way correct, but just warming the whites a fraction, applying a my own version of a Luminosity adjustment, coupled with a mid tone curves adjustment perhaps is another avenue to explore, certainly it address the highlights (although they are certainly not bright or blown) and brings more depth & tone to the surroundings.

Nice work.

TFS
Steve

Michael Rominger Jr
04-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Marina, I agree with Steve. A little more room to the left I think would help a little maybe a touch at the feet but not must for me. I also like Steves RP. Exposure and sharpness look pretty good to me. Mainly color cast that bothers me. Wish we had these guys around my area. I love moose!

Steve Kaluski
04-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Sorry Marina/Micheal, meant to say right so less space to the left, DOH! The site crashed just as I was writing so I had to quickly re track back on my initial thoughts. :w3

Michael Rominger Jr
04-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Now that you mention that and i think again Steve I believe that would be better. I honestly was thinking to the left before but now looming again at pose the mother and the footage at feet to the right, I agree, a shift in that direction i think would be better. Thanks for helping me to slow down and think through process a little more! So yeah Marina....to the right :t3

Rachel Hollander
04-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Hi Marina - always nice to see one moose, two is a bonus. Steve has covered most of the points. One additional very minor point, I would crop a slight amount from the top (or you could clone if you prefer) to create a clean top edge. There's a very small amount of darker areas creeping in on the upper right.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
04-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Looks accurate for the conditions you describe and has a nice mood for me. That said, I think Steve K's subtle warming works ok too. Really like the positioning of the two.

John Ippolito
04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Marina, I like the way you captured the cow and it's calf here. The alert look on the pair. It is a species that I see here every week in many kinds of weather, and light. Your rendition looks quite accurate in the cool lighting conditions - wet coats, and the snow tells us they are standing in frigid water which helps us understand how hearty these animals are.

Steve K's slightly warmer version looks good as well without destrroying the mood of cold and wet. Rachel's point about the clean top of the image is noted and easily changed if you were so inclined. Very nicely done !

Marina Scarr
04-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Here's a RP with the advice offered above including composition issues and cast. Please let me know what you all think and thank you so much for your comments & critiques.

Steve Kaluski
04-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Hi Marina, I think this a lot better, both in terms of colour and comp. Personal preference I think you could push it a tad more to the left, but it's only personal taste. :S3:

How ho you feel about it now, is there anything else you would like to add/change?

Steve

Michael Rominger Jr
04-21-2013, 08:32 AM
I like the repost Marina. Good work! Gives a good sinse of the surroundings and a cool damp evening to come!

Marina Scarr
04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
How ho you feel about it now, is there anything else you would like to add/change?

I think if I were to work it one more time, I would make it a little darker (like yours) b/c I think that was more representative of the moment.

As always, thank you so much for your assistance and helpful critiques.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-21-2013, 07:40 PM
I like all posts :). Your original made me think you were playing with Nik Silver Efex and I liked the effect. I just felt it was a little bright. I think you did great with the light . Gotta love that MIV and the ability to jack that ISO up. Reposts are all good they just convey a different feel to me. I like the capture.

John Ippolito
04-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Every version looks good to me. The repost is a better balanced comp IMO. Excellent work, Marina. Very nicely done !

Morkel Erasmus
04-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Hey Marina. Late to this one, sorry...
Lovely scene and I like the wet looks and the direct gazes. Your RP takes the cake for me :cheers: