PDA

View Full Version : Lunch time

cindyflood
05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
This is my first post here. I am just learning the D300. I was practicing focusing on diving Terns with a 70-300 VR. This lens is a little slow focusing for the speedy Terns.
Nikon D300, 1/2500, f/5.6, iso 500, 300mm

This guy just caught his lunch.

Gus Cobos
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
A big welcome to BPN Cindy,
You did very well on this one. I like the composition, bird placement. The exposure is good. I like the flight action. Your bird has sharp details on the white feathers. Love the background...:D

Alfred Forns
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Great Big Welcome Cindy !!!!!

Excellent bird to do your flight they are small, fast and erratic !!! Can't ask for more !!!! I like the wing position, good exposure making the eye visible, framing the bird back and over the dark horizon line and overall good feel !!!! Processing wise there is something funny on the lower wing tip? Not sure if you were doing some work in the area.

For making the focusing easier try pre focusing on a spot then pick up the bird. Don't acquire focus again until the center point is well over the bird and its coming into focus. It will lock very fast. You run into trouble if the point is not on the bird and starts hunting. With time will be second nature !!! This looks good !!! Looking forward to many more !!!

cindyflood
05-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Gus and Alfred.

Alfred, I didn't touch that wing. That is how it was.
Thanks for the tip on focusing. Those guys are really moving!

Nonda Surratt
05-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Cindy welcome!

Lovely image! What I notice the most is the eye shows up well, often times it doesn't, a testament to the really excellent job you did on the exposure!!!

Harold Davis
05-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Cindy and welcome to BPN!!! great first post. love the action in your photo! the halo al is talking about looks to be an oof area in the distance. you can see some more of the same color in front of the bird. cant wait to see some more from you!

cindyflood
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi ...the halo al is talking about looks to be an oof area in the distance. you can see some more of the same color in front of the bird.
Harold, thanks for pointing that out. Yes, it is just a coincidence that it is by the wing. I was looking at what could be wrong with the wing itself, and didn't even notice it.

Harold and Nonda, thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning a lot here.

Oscar Zangroniz
05-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Welcome Cindy. Awesome capture for your first post. You did very well considering how fast they are. I'm still trying to get a good shot at one.
Again, a big congrats.
Regards,