PDA

View Full Version : eyes

Randy Rimland
04-19-2013, 04:10 AM
Great White Egret at The Aligator Farm rookery in St Augustine Florida last week.

D7100 + 80-400afs, f/5.6, 1/640, iso800, 400mm, crop and sharpen only in post

Doug West
04-19-2013, 05:51 AM
The image looks a little under exposed to me. You should be able to
fix that in post.

The head also looks a little soft. A little more sharpening might also help.

For this type of head angle, stopping down another stop or two, like maybe
F5.8 would help with the eyes and beak.

Doug

Marina Scarr
04-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Love this pose. It appears as though your point of focus was on the bird's neck instead of its face which is why the head is a bit soft. The most important part of any subject to have in focus is the eye. So next time, you may wish to try focusing on the eye and recomposing. I do think a bit more sharpening of the head would help as well as whitening the whites.

Randy Rimland
04-19-2013, 10:57 AM
thanks for the feedback guys

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-19-2013, 09:21 PM
I like the idea you were going for but as previously stated I think you missed the focal point. I also find the bg a bit distracting. Maybe more sharpening on the head and toning down the white spots in the bg would help.

Randy Rimland
04-20-2013, 04:30 AM
thanks Cheryl
AF point was right on his chin, in hindsight I should have stopped the lens down to f/8 or so, I wanted the chin and eyes in focus. For years I have shot dogs or anything with big noses on the nose to get the nose and eyes in focus. I hate an OOF nose (or chin) in front of sharp eyes, just looks weird to me and I know most would rather have an OOF nose and in focus eyes if they had to choose.

Any here's a repost, selectively sharpened the chin up, bumped the exposure, toned down the highlites and removed the white spots (other Great Whites in nests)
[edit] i missed a spot on the tip of his peak

Troy Lim
04-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Exposure on repost looks good but still has some noise.
Agree on the focus point. I feel the image works best in portrait mode and crop off 1/3 of the bird's body on the left. It would be more effective and focus on what you were trying to achieve here.