PDA

View Full Version : Fly

Don Jacobs
04-18-2013, 07:49 PM
I shot this using the 1DIV, 100L and flash. ISO 200, f/8.0, 1/300, HH. Things have been slow but hopefully they'll start getting active. C&C greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
04-19-2013, 05:39 AM
Don the detail and exposure are excellent, I also like the perch for the fly. My one and only slight reservation is the contrasting background. I would be tempted to make a smart mask of the fly and try to blend in the background a little bit. Alternatively just deal with the darker bits in the background I think that would make a big difference.

Jerry van Dijk
04-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Very good details indeed! A little more DOF would have gotten the whole thorax in focus. Jonathan makes a good point about the BG. My guess would be that if you would have moved a little to the left, shooting the fly from an angle, you would have had a nice yellow BG. But you probably wouldn't have the whole fly in your plane of focus.

Steve Maxson
04-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi Don. Very nice sharpness within your DOF. Jon and Jerry have given you some good suggestions to consider. Bright areas tend to draw the eye so you might tone down the brightest of the green in the background. Also, the petal upon which the fly is sitting has some bright/blown areas (likely due to the flash). You could tweak this by carefully cloning some of those spots. Another option might be to crop a little off the bottom - say, just above your signature line, to remove some of the brightest spots. This would help to focus our eye more on your subject. :S3: Keep them coming!