PDA

View Full Version : Fallow Deer

Steve Kaluski
04-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Taken early morning during the rut. These guys can become quite aggressive and unpredictable, so often it's best to keep a health 'comfort zone' between subject & photographer. This guy had just finished making a scrap in the ground and then scent marked, however a younger guy appeared on the scene which caught his attention, hence the pose. I decided to go with this one only because it showed of his muscular physique and the detail in the 'shovel' antlers. Light was a premium and with the subject under the shade of a huge tree did not help matters, but the 1DX did well, however since then, I now know how far I can really push it which is great.

Steve
Subject: Male Fallow deer poised (Dama dama)
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO400 0 stop compensation

Rachel Hollander
04-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Steve - Looks like he was posing for you. I like that he seems to be on the top of a ridge with the fall off to the bg, gives a feeling that he is surveying his territory. It does show off his apparent strength and the light and details are very nice.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
You present him to great effect Steve he looks a bit of a bruiser doesn't he? Composition good and equally so exposure, I also like the crossed legs. The head angle is ok, if he had been turning more to his left you may well have got one and a half eyes instead of two and in any event I think this is better than a head on shot.

Michael Rominger Jr
04-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Wonderful exposure and image Steve! I really like the light in this image and you have handled it well. Sharpness and detail are very nice. I also like the alert stance and the composition you have used with it. Thanks for the storyline leading up to the capture as I always enjoy getting a feel as to how the image came about and what was happening at the time.

Don Railton
04-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Hi Steve

He's a big handsome boy..! And he knows it..! Well done. My eye keeps getting draw to the bright spot in the upper LH corner, but easily fixed... Apart from that I like the comp a lot. Nice separation from the BG..

DON

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-19-2013, 07:53 AM
This guy shows lot of character Steve, nice exposure & details, i like the alert pose too.
Cheers
Sanjeev

Steve Canuel
04-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Nice looking deer Steve. Love the healthy look of these stags during the rut. A nice pose and I also like the layering of colors in the BG. The lighter left side adds to the feel of shooting in shaded woods for me.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Very pleasing image and what a rack! Cosidering light conditions you made this work well and I like the bg too.

Marina Scarr
04-19-2013, 07:58 PM
What a stunner, Steve. Your PP is is so good that I feel as though I can reach out and touch him. Love the vertical presentation and all the environment.

John Ippolito
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Excellent image in all respects Steve. Handsome subject, framed perfectly, details - including the bit of vegetation on the mouth - and the BG/setting on this. For me the bright upper left makes the BG more appealing and realistic. You nailed it !

Morkel Erasmus
04-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Lovely stance and soft light and colours, Steve.
You mention you pushed the 1Dx, but EXIF says ISO-400? :bugeyed:

Steve Kaluski
04-21-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks folks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Morkel, since taking the shot a while back, I now know how far, and when to push the 1DX, just love it. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
04-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Cool. How far is that? ISO-6400? :bg3:
Just curious to know first-hand from someone who will be critical about final file IQ...:e3