PDA

View Full Version : Nest Killer

Doug West
04-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Over the weekend a robins nest was built where I worked. What was unique about this
was the placement. The nest was built under our porch ontop of the building's enclosed
phone box.

I saw our building's superindent outside, so I went to tell him to please not disturb
the next.

Turns out I was 20 seconds to late. He threw it in the trash.

Needless to say, I was pretty angry.

I might go out and try to retrieve it and at least put it in a tree nearby. Probably wouldn't
do any good now, but who knows.

I need to find my happy place now :)

Doug

Clyde Hopper
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Doug, I'm glad there are still people like you still in this world.............Our numbers are getting smaller ,I'm afraid .

Doug West
04-18-2013, 11:40 PM
I moved the nest across the porch into some shrubs, even though it probably won't help.

I left a sticky note where the nest use to be that read 'we've moved across the street'.
My building superindentent didn't think that was to funny. I told him I hope robins poop
on his car.

Doug

TonyKyle
04-21-2013, 08:00 AM
All season long I hope they target his car. He did not need to touch their nest. Kudos to you Doug for caring and trying to help.

John Chardine
04-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Hi Doug- They might take to the new nest location.

Sometimes Robins make daft decisions about nest location. We had a vehicle in our parking lot at work that did not move for a week or so a few springs ago. Turns out a Robin pair had decided to build a nest on top of the front tire under the wheel well. We had to use the vehicle so carefully moved the nest to a nearby shrub and the parents followed.

You might want to mention to the building "super" that disturbing the nest of a migratory bird (i.e., a robin) is an offence under the Migratory Bird Act and infractions carry stiff fines or jail terms. A call to an enforcement officer in your local USFWS office would confirm this.

Doug West
04-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Wow, thanks John. Did not know that. I'll pass it on.

Doug

Sabyasachi Patra
05-12-2013, 12:51 AM
I agree with John. A lot can be achieved by citing the relevant sections of the law.