PDA

View Full Version : Gadwall, female

Tim King
04-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Took this in April of 2011 early in the morning as the sun found its way through the narrow woodlot behind me.
50d - 300mmf4 L IS + 1.4TCii
full camo, lying on bank - 5 hunting decoys for company ; )

Spring!!

vishaljadhav
04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Nice one, the low perspective makes it really stand out, the open beak adds a lot of interest
Sharp and well composed image

Miguel Palaviccini
04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Tim,

Wonderful shot! Love the low perspective. Any lower and you run the rist of having the dark horizontal going through the body.

If you can, I would lighten that horizon. An easy way to do it is to get a soft brush at 10% (or less) opacity and paint over the dark spots with a lighter color (on a separate layer).

Also, just noticed, but what's going on above the beak? Looks like a little chunk is missin? I've never seen that before.

Miguel

Randy Stout
04-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Tim:

Good comments from the guys. I thought about softening the horizon line as well, before reading Miguel's comment. Must a bit.

I find the image a bit bright, so perhaps a luminosity layer to tone it down just a bit.

Did the decoys help? Any duck calls used to compliment them?

Cheers

Randy

Tim King
04-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Tim:

Good comments from the guys. I thought about softening the horizon line as well, before reading Miguel's comment. Must a bit.

I find the image a bit bright, so perhaps a luminosity layer to tone it down just a bit.

Did the decoys help? Any duck calls used to compliment them?

Cheers

Randy

I did have my mallard call on me and it does work, but I`m not sure if I used it for this photo. The decoys work amazingly.

Miguel:

I think the females have a bit of an indent above their bill and is more accentuated when calling.
I haven`t seen many photos of them calling but the ones I have seen they do have the indent.
I like the BG as is. It looks natural to me as I remember it.

Thanks all.

PhilCook
04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Love the simplicity and coppery tones and sheen to the entire image, lighting is beautiful, open bill is a nice touch.....very nicely done all round

Mike Veltri
04-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Very nice Tim, nice low level approach and calling pose.