PDA

View Full Version : Sun Setting on the Great Gray Owl Irruption of 2013.

Daniel Cadieux
04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm a bit Great Grayed out, and this is the last post of this species from me for the time being.:e3 A bit of an experiment and what I was really envisioning was a full flight landing silhouette, but a lack of sun on the evenings I had out put a bit of a damper on that. This one is working well too, I think, and is a nice consolation on what I was wanting to get...

Canon 7D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens @42mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/8, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, cropped for comp (~75% FF), darkened the forest for more drama, and eliminated a cyan cast on the whites and part of the plumage. I could do without the two trees growing out of the head but I am too lazy trying to get them out. Baited owl.

Nick Palmieri
04-16-2013, 07:21 PM
I think it works because the color in the sky is nice. The backlight works very well, just seems to be enough.

Loi Nguyen
04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Daniel, a very interesting shot that shows a beautiful sky and just enough owl with the back lighting. Perfect exposure.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-16-2013, 11:31 PM
A very unique image, I like the back-lit wings & comp. The sky looks awesome Dan.

arash_hazeghi
04-17-2013, 12:01 AM
very cool Dan! I remember this one. I was wondering what it would look like if you bring down the exposure on the owl more just leaving a hint of light in the eyes and the back-lit feathers... might look like a demon

pretty cool

Seppo Harmala
04-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Pretty cool Daniel. Nice action with strong atmospheric feeling too. I'd also love to see the same situation taken @28 or even wider, sort of a birdscape.

PS. We have GGO's in the Nordic countries too but with a little more white in the face I think: http://lintukuvat-seppoharmala.webnode.com/

PhilCook
04-17-2013, 02:08 AM
A fitting Grand Finale Daniel, very different and very effective, not in the least bit fussed about the two trees behind the head

christopher galeski
04-17-2013, 03:27 AM
very nice,Ilike it,the color of the setting sun makes this image,the 2 trees at the back of the head does not for me,spoil the image.well done.

Karl Egressy
04-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Very different image from all we have seen so far. I like it. I like the pose and the whole frame with the colourful sky.

vishaljadhav
04-17-2013, 06:24 AM
i like the image for simply the way its made, its different
the landscape and the bird both are on view, beautiful

Lyle Gruby
04-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Beautiful and powerful. Hard to stop looking at it.

Mike Tracy
04-17-2013, 05:21 PM
My first thought was about the trees. That said I like the image and enjoy viewing non traditional ways of doing things.

Marina Scarr
04-18-2013, 06:30 AM
This is a very unique image, Daniel, which you already know of course. I just love those trees and other elements of the BG b/c they make this image look ominous. Arash's idea sounds like it may well be worthy of a try.

David Salem
04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
A beautiful and fitting way to close a great series and what looks like an awesome year up there with your owls. I like the trees in the BG and the colorful sky really makes the shot. Very nice and thanks for sharing a great season of owl shots.

Satish Ranadive
04-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Daniel Sir:
Excellent image GGO. Love the the back-lit wings and tail feathers,beautiful sky colors and very nice environment.
Great composition.

Regards,
Satish.