PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is appropriate?

Gary Kinard
04-16-2013, 07:02 AM
I have seen this for the first time here the last few days. With hundreds of Weavers being killed each day. Last year I had no problem getting a shot of one. This year it is much different.
Look at the guy at the right. The nets are so full of birds it pulled the polls down. He is removing the birds and resetting the nets.
This is how they do it. They put up mist nets as you see here. Then bait the birds in with seeds. When the birds have landed two kids with slingshots shoot fire crackers in the air above them and they scatter into the nets. This has been going on for days here now that I have seen. With the near threatened Golden weaver in several of the nets.

Northern Laos, birds gone!, Some parts of Northern Thailand, Burma.

I have seen every animal you can think of in the market in the rural areas. Frogs, rats, every bug you can imagine. Dogs fried.

Why? its what's for dinner.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8654041491_22e3541907_b.jpg

Faraaz Abdool
04-16-2013, 07:52 AM
So what about chickens? Or animals REARED for food? Is there any local authority that you can contact? When we have similar problems here (in Trinidad) we have to send letter after letter to the Government, they usually listen when foreigners complain.

Gary Kinard
04-16-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't mean this as uncaring. But it is not my country, I am a guest here. This is there country, the government and people can do what ever they want to do. I thought I would show it. Just to show what other cultures do. Right or wrong is totally out of my hands.
For birders like me. When the birds are gone I will be gone as well.

Faraaz Abdool
04-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey Gary - I understand your position, and moreso the fact that you may not be as passionate as I am about conservation. Just know that there would be people after you who may appreciate the birds' presence just as we do.

Gary Kinard
04-16-2013, 10:50 PM
The only way to control this as I see it. Is to pay the farmers, or with tourism make the birds a cash crop. Which is happening here in the N.P.'s People are getting rich from birders and bird photographers. Therefore the locals police and enforce bird conservation.
In the rural areas if anyone complained. Especially a foreigner Like me. It could get very unhealthy VERY fast.

Faraaz Abdool
04-17-2013, 07:39 AM
You're absolutely right, Gary. Once they know that birds = $$$ then it'll start to make sense to them. Totally understand your predicament - I actually have a similar problem in Tobago (and we're supposed to be one country, see how ridiculous it can be?!) where you hear things like "don't come across here and tell us what to do" etc.

Gary Kinard
05-04-2013, 05:27 AM
A quick update. I went to the area again today and the birds are gone. Hundreds of nests burnt. All the reeds cut down where they nest. The few nests still standing were in disarray. I drove about 10 K.M and finally found a few birds. But, they moved the mist netting to this area. So in a few weeks they will be gone here also. Never realized how easy it was to exterminate a thriving population of birds. I shot a few today but only saw two. Hummmmm
Glad I got to see it when the birds were here and thriving. Up until this year it was fun to watch. Now, none of these little guys around.

Pao Dolina
05-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Lovely Gary