PDA

View Full Version : Brown hares

Jonathan Ashton
04-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Canon 7D canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC Mk1 ISO 800, 1/1250 sec f5.6
All c&C welcome

Steve Kaluski
04-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Hi Jon, now I am going off you, this is what I want to get, but need more time, will try at the beginning of next month if the female hares will allow me.

I like the crop and position of the female, the slightly OOF/blur of the male adds to the action, (hope I have got them round the right way?). Good to see you pushing the ISO, you need fast SS for this.

I would look at the Levels and bring in the RH slider to around 248, add a % Luminosity adjustment (I do it differently with a quirky Channel), but it brings up a nice warmth to it and I think creates a bit more depth. Applying a lighter Curves adjustment to the subjects I think also helps and gets some more brightness into that eye. Finally, I also feel you can apply a bit more selective USM to the upright hare.

Nice one, guess i will be seeing some of these at RPS next year? :w3

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi Jonathan - Another nice low pov and the sharpness and detail of the one on the rhs combined with the sense of movement on the left work well. I'm wondering if you can get any detail out of the tail of the left one. Also, the yellows still seem a little strong to me. Finally, there are 4 tiny spots (3 bright ones and one more faded) straight up from the middle of the left one's body. Not sure if they are artifacts or something else.

TFS,
Rachel

christopher galeski
04-15-2013, 06:58 AM
very nice Jonathan,like the hares pose stood up,some nice detail,the hare on the left,if you go up from the middle of its back,you will see 3 small brighr spots and one a little higher to the right just were the light grass go in to shadow,easy to get rid of.TFS and well done.

Jonathan Ashton
04-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback, the hare on the right is the Jack. The droplets your refer to are either dew or urine, shot taken not long after dawn and the Jack & Jill were clearly romancing!
The files have proven very problematical, first there was a reddish cast now maybe yellow. The files were at ISO 800 and if I crop them modestly I get horrendous results when attempting an A3 print - very noisy. On reflection I should have over exposed by 0.3 but cropping ISO 800 7D files is not a good idea, I need a very high quality print from this or my next post. I will look at reprocessing.

Steve Kaluski
04-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi Jonathan, if you are using DPP then I would suggest you invest in Arash's PDF, this may help you overcome certain issues you have expanded on. I'm not sure about the Yellow cast, the colours to me look quite good in the OP. also remember, when you are processing, the environment in which you do this can also effect what you see and work too.

If you are printing Jon, try Permajet Oyster, they also will provide profiles for your printer based on the papers you use of theirs.

If you can and looking to the future, I would look to doing a PX on the 7D for the 5D MKIII, this would resolve a lot of your current issues and IMHO, the files will be a lot better & cleaner, saving a lot of headaches for you. I know Canon are doing key Cash backs over here on certain lenses, not sure about bodies. If you do think you maybe in the market, let me know as I often get Flash alerts from Canon, prior to it going live. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
04-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Nice action and low angle here Jonathan.
Good points raised already. The white spots Rachel pointed out seem to be debris kicked up by the moving hare?

Jonathan Ashton
04-17-2013, 04:09 AM
Nice action and low angle here Jonathan.
Good points raised already. The white spots Rachel pointed out seem to be debris kicked up by the moving hare?
That's my guess, I assumed due or urine, failing that some kind of minute specular highlight generated in Photoshop, on reflection this may be more likely as the spots are tiny.

Steve Canuel
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Like the stance of the one on the right. Seems like he's looking at you rather than watching the one that's about to jump on him! Detail and colors look good.