PDA

View Full Version : Fish River Canyon

Anette Mossbacher
04-15-2013, 03:41 AM
The main view of the Fish River Canyon at sunrise.
The white round dot on the RHS is the moon. For me it is a little bit odd looking!!!
What I did... Levels, Curves, High Pass, selective color, Dodge /burn, at the end Levels on a expanded Mid Luminosity , that's about it.
No saturation or vibrance added!

MKIV on tripod
f/22 1/25sec
ISO 200
lens 17 - 40mm

Don Railton
04-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Hello Anette.

What a fantastic location... I love the sky, the rich red colour in the distance, everything really, but I wish the 'middleground' could be a similar colour as the distant. That sudden change of colour is a bit of a distraction/image killer to me... I know its what happens but... I also see some sun rays almost visible, be nice if those could be enhanced as well... Not sure how this is done, but I am sure others know..

regards
DON

Anette Mossbacher
04-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Hi Don,

thanks so much for your comment. I will give it a try with the color for the middle part. Will see how that is coming out. The rays, I have seen them, not sure yet how I can get them out more. But will give it a try as well how all will look :bg3:
Thanks so much

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
04-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Hi Anette, I would go back to the RAW and add a Graduate filter to the top have to pull out more depth & detail as Don said, but there appears to be some artifacts in the sky, more noticeable in the top right, blue part. I would also see if you can get a bet more detail from the canyon itself. I do like the way it 'tonally' changes to give the appearance of layers.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
04-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi Steve,

thanks so much.
I started all over from RAW. Did the gradient you mentioned :bg3: Used LR :w3 by now.
Than all over to PS. Did most with Luminosity masks. Dodge/Burn I used to bring out more the lighter areas in the middle part, the valley. Burn selective for a bit more contrast, also valley. Well the middle part how it looks now I really do like it now. Also color wise!
The upper part I burnt as well selective in a few layers with very low Opacity.
Colors, nothing nada niente done.
WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
04-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Looks very cool now. :cheers::cheers: but what you could also now try is another blend mode where the centre part (the canyon) is a little richer and a tad darker?

Colors, nothing nada niente done. :Whoa!: :bg3:

Anette Mossbacher
04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Hurray Hurray Hurray, finally the second largest Canyon done properly.
Thanks so much Steve. Will give it a try with a bit darker :bg3:

Have a great evening

Ciao

Anette

Steve Kaluski
04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
It's just a thought, there are better people who can judge this than me. :S3:

Anette Mossbacher
04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Maybe, but it looks like there are worldwide Holidays and we two have missed that! We still sit on the PC instead enjoying the Worldwide Holidays.

( In case you did not got that. It means: It is quiet in the Forum )

:w3
Thanks a lot Steve

John Ippolito
04-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Lovely composition of the great bend in the canyon. The change in luminosity in the canyon is consistent with it being in the shade, but I'm with Steve on getting the shaded part of the canyon a little deeper in tone, and color. Very nice image.

Anette Mossbacher
04-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Thank you very much John. I did already add a saturation mask to it. Sorry I did not posted the finished image. Here it is. Nevertheless, if there is anything else to be changed...etc, please do let me know. Thank you very much.

Ciao Anette

Rachel Hollander
04-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Hi Anette - I'm late to this one but Steve has given you excellent guidance and the tweaks have really improved it. Last rp does it for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
04-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Anette, I've watched this one from the start and it's good that there's been some engagement on it.
I know this spot well...so it's good to see it again!

I feel your image overall looks a bit "HDR", lacking proper midtone contrast. Your last repost is way better than the OP and improves on that aspect for sure. Better tonal contrast and overall natural light balance.
Did you wait a few minutes for the sun to hit the "Sweet spot" of the canyon with the little horseshoe bend?

Anette Mossbacher
04-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Hi Morkel,

thank you very much for your comment. There you can see my "HDR" skills with one single image :))

Yes I have been there longer, but moved to the LHS along the rim, due upcoming strong wind from below. I could have done "body wind surfing" on the rim! Was wishing badly for my umbrella to cover the camera for the LE!
I got a few nice shots from the LHS when the horse shoe is in the sunlight and all over shade spots from the clouds. Will see when I get to those, than I post one.
Fun part there was, I was totally alone. No one else came. After all shooting I had my coffee on the rim, you have seen the image on G+. First visitors arrived when I took off about 10am, but those I met at the entrance at the Park. I was really wondering where the full campsite of people went. I might missed something better :))

Ciao

Anette