PDA

View Full Version : (First Avian post) Japanese White Eye.

Dave Johnson
04-14-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone :S3:

This is the first proper chance I've had to use this new lens, and decided to try my hand at these little 12cm long white eyes. They are constantly on the move in search of the cherry blossom nectar and quite a challenge!

All C&C good and bad welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Shooting Info: Canon 500 F4 Mk II, 60D, tripod, F4, 1/2000s ISO 250. Cropped, sharpened and slight saturation boost in DPP.

PhilCook
04-14-2013, 02:26 AM
We have same bird here and they rarely sit still.....nicely done.

Lovely composition with the blossoms and looks quite sharp, the eye clarity is very good. Liking very much the soft backdrop colors, overall this is a fine shot I think.....possibly crop a little tighter

Colin Driscoll
04-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Nice one Dave, and welcome. Great BG, love the contrast between blossom and bird. Points I have learned since posting here would be that it is better to be level rather than looking up at the bird, and the all important head angle so yours could be looking to the right a bit more. It's very easy, all you do is ask the bird to change its pose :)

Sachin Saraf
04-14-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi Dave, I saw these birds but could not make any decent image. That perch is beautiful and love the sharpness and BG...TFS and looking forward to see more images from you in this forum

HadiAnsari
04-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Nice one Dave, and welcome.That perch is beautiful and love the sharpness and BG.It is very hard to photograph this bird.This bird is known by the name of Oriental White-eyes (http://www.birdforum.ir/index.php?topic=1555.0).You can use sound to attract birds

Randy Stout
04-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Dave:

Welcome to the Avian Board. Nice to have a new toy to play with!

Lovely perch, sharp, soft background. I do agree with Phil, a bit tighter comp to highlight the bird and perch. I would probably very lightly clone stamp over the dark band above his back, just soften that a bit.

The white around the eye doesn't show any detail, but suspect it is very hard to capture anything there without underexposing the rest of the bird. Might be worth a double conversion, one for the ring and one for everything else to try and tone it down a sliver.

Color Efex Pro detail extrator might be able to tease out a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Diane Miller
04-14-2013, 10:12 AM
A tighter crop would be good. I'd remove half the empty space top and right, and enough to get rid of the OOF petal on the left edge.

Satish Ranadive
04-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Wonderful image with beautiful perch,background,light and sharpness. Another vote for tight crop.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
04-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi Dave, I like the inquisitive slight head turn, the White eye is sharp, and the white flowers are well exposed. Another vote for a tighter crop.

Dave Johnson
04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated. I'll have a go at cropping it tighter as suggested.

MohsenVahedipour
04-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Very nice first post. Lovely perch. Another vote for tighter crop. As Hadi mentioned, it's very similar to our oriental white-eye. TFS