PDA

View Full Version : Mum & Junior

Don Railton
04-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Hello all,<o:p></o:p>
I am lucky enough to live close to a bit of Australian Bush surrounding a cemetery. Its apparently Kangaroo heaven because the bush provides the shelter/ cover after dark while the lush green grass that's regularly watered keeps the Kangaroos thriving. The roo's are wild but very use to people and at the local cemetery you can get quite close to some of them although I would not advise this. When they feel cornered they sit back on the tail and lash out with the rear legs and can cause serious damage…<o:p></o:p>
In this image Junior had just finished doing fast circuits around mum and then racing back to stand next to her. He was looking pretty proud of himself, reminded me of my daughter in her first car actually. Something had spooked him and in the next few frames he partly dives into the pouch you can see between mums paws... <o:p></o:p>
1D4 + 500 F4 at F7.1, ISO 1250. Hand Held. Small crop off he bottom.<o:p></o:p>
I should have pushed the ISO further because a little more DOF is needed on mum’s nose...<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
DON<o:p></o:p>

Rachel Hollander
04-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi Don - nice to see some roos posted. Your pov is a good one. I agree with your self assessment that you needed more dof as mom's nose is soft. It feels like you were taking jr's photo and mom jumped in at the last moment. My guess is that your focal point was on jr, perhaps framing a little more to the left and focusing on mom might have been better in this circumstance. If it were mine, I would drop the sat. Additionally, there seems to be a yellow cast on mom's chest and some cyan coming through in the ears. Looking forward to seeing more of your local wildlife. Do you have any of jr alone?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Don, haven't seen a Roo for a while here, think you should post some more. :S3:

The two things that strike me is the comp and to me, there seems to be a colour cast in the neutrals too? It's a bit quirky the comp and I quite like it, the more you look a it the more it grows on you I feel. I get the impression the older one is muscling in and pushing past the younger one to get in front, as you took the shot. I just wonder if by having a bit more image on the LHS in frame would it help or not? Regarding the colour, I just wonder if the 'green' has been pushed a little as I think it is starting to appear in some of the more neutral areas, or if it's too much blue? I would welcome your thoughts Don, as you were there and have a better handle on the overall look & feel. I took it back into LR and tried to adjust the HSL sliders to try and balance it, but obviously it's a global adjustment so other colours may have gone the other way ie Reds. Just look at the older Roo's chest and what seems to be some blue in the adults right ear as viewed. Obviously this scene was almost instantaneous, but I think the focus perhaps should have been on the LH Roo as that is the one engaging with the viewer IMHO.

I wouldn't worry too much about pushing the ISO, the MKIV can take it.

TFS and would welcome your thoughts on the above feedback.

Steve

Steve Kaluski
04-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Don, it seems in writing/composing my thoughts Rachel is ahead of me. :cheers:

Don Railton
04-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Great Minds Huh...! Regarding the processing, It was done with the recently bought NIK package and I guess my workflow is still developing with that... I agree it has a little more yellow than it should and agree the saturation is a little high. I always amazes me how you are blind to your own images problems, things that you see as obvious in others work... Regarding the comp, I was trying to focus on the Junior to get in on the cuteness factor and he was pretty active. I thought this would work better by leaving a little space off to the right in front of the 'roos... I would have a lot better with a 300mm or even a 200mm as I was having to step back all the time, there was just no room in the frame.... Rachel, I have others of Junior and plan to post them ASAP. Will process with my usual workflow and try and get the colour a little closer...Thanks for the comments..

Don Railton
04-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Last thing Steve, You are right, mum has stepped forward and the next few frames show her up and on her hind legs, becoming vocal and the joey makes a dive for the pouch. Not sure what was behind me to cause that but that's what happened... I am impressed you were able to see that from the image. DON

Steve Kaluski
04-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Don, if you want to PM or email with the basic steps in your Workflow I will gladly see if I can add anything into it, which may help? Depending on the route, I think it would be good to get Morkel's thoughts too, but separately.

Anette Mossbacher
04-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Hi Don,

lovely Kangaroos you got. Looks like I am late again, yep we have already passed midnight! :w3 All said already from Rachel & Steve.
Looking forward to see more Kangaroos from you :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

Don Railton
04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all the comments... I will PM you tonight Steve, unfortunately work calls currently..

DON

Steve Kaluski
04-15-2013, 05:55 AM
No sweat Don, will look out for it, but guess 'Time difference' may have a factor. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
04-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Great to see these, Don. Steve's repost has done a lot tonally. I'm just wondering about a crop from the RHS to tighten things up given how you've "cut off" mom?

PhilCook
04-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Super sharp detail and lovely light Don, Steve's re post has lifted it another notch