PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant

Ian Roy
04-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Hi

This image was taken using a Canon 5mk3 and 400mm f5.6 lens. 1/1600 sec; f/5.6; ISO 1000 . Using single point AF and rear focusing, Shot from the drivers seat using a beanbag resting on the window.

Post production in PS6 . This image has been cropped and benefited from Neat Noise reduction and a mask for sharpening together with a Graduated Gaussian Blur to accentuate the distant out of focus DOF.

In this country we have no Sun, what I would like is a nice golden sun soaked breast to highlight the birds front....one day. I find that single point AF is a must when shooting at dots in the distance for my 400mm, when I know a heavy crop will bring the bird closer.
Cheers
Ian

Sachin Saraf
04-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Ian, Nice looking bird and nice alert pose...head looks soft compared to body...Looks like you pulled the curves tad too much for shadow region....and somehow that BG isn't working for me may be Gaussian blur effect is the reason...TFS

Tim King
04-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I really like the purples in the plumage. I'd sharpen 'er up a bit.

I saw someone with a shirt the read "pheasant plucker" ... I tried really hard not to say it the other way : )

Diane Miller
04-13-2013, 09:55 PM
I like the bird and nice job of separating it from the BG, but it does look a little contrived. But I'm just jealous because I can never get that close to a pheasant. They must know they taste good.

Go ahead, Tim -- it's bad for your blood pressure to repress urges.... :S3:

Dave Johnson
04-14-2013, 02:34 AM
I love pheasants (not to eat lol) and this is a fine looking fellow. I'd sharpen him a touch more (personal thing) and ease off the processing a bit also. TFS Ian.