PDA

View Full Version : Bufflehead

Jim Crosswell
04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
This was taken yesterday at a local pond. It is a fair crop with real overcast conditions. I was hoping I would get another chance today for a better image but no luck. Not the best IQ but it is the best image I have so far. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 1D Mark IV
500L f4
1.4 Extender
ISO 1600
f/5.6
1/80s
Tripod
Manual mode

Sachin Saraf
04-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Jim, these birds are difficult to get close to and expose correctly...Overcast conditions definitely helped you, HA is good and I like the placement of the bird in frame but would definitely try and see a version with some space taken off bottom...also there is scope to pull out slightly more details from dark areas IMO..I would consider removing the reflection of weeds in front of the bird it is bit distracting..TFS

Jim Crosswell
04-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your comment and suggestions Sachin. You are right about the approach and exposure difficulties. Will try to rework the image.

dankearl
04-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Jim,
I like the comp as is.
I would simply lighten the front of the head a bit.
Your exposure is right on, detail in whites and blacks, just a shade lighter on the face for me.
Well done.

Diane Miller
04-13-2013, 10:31 PM
I want more detail in the blacks and whites -- but I wouldn't crop the reflection! You could take some off the top, though.

Dave Johnson
04-14-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi Jim, you caught the iridescent colours on the head well despite the cloudy conditions! I'm Ok with the comp too. Wishing for a little more detail in the whites but I think you did well under the circumstances. Best of luck getting that dream shot.

christopher galeski
04-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Beautiful image of a beautiful duck,nice low pose,another vote for more light on the face.

Sachin Saraf
04-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Jim, another issue seems to be with color profile. Looks like you did not convert it to sRGB.

Randy Stout
04-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Jim:

Buffles here are very hard to get close to as well. You def. can lighten the face in front of the eye a bit. If you have color efex pro, use a light touch on the detail extractor, and it comes up nicely without looking unnatural. Like the pose and subtle colors.

Cheers

Randy

Dont feel to bad about your weather, it is snowing here this morning.:S3:

Randy

Karl Egressy
04-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Nice anle and great looking wter, Jim. Lve the eye contact. Personally I would like to see a little more vivd colours in the head.

Sachin Saraf
04-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi Jim, This is what was on my mind see the re post below:

Hope you like it.

Jim Crosswell
04-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Thanks Sachin for taking the time to rework the image. I am in Costa Rica now and only have an IPad but it looks good on it. Sorry for the slow response but I haven't been online much here.
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.