PDA

View Full Version : Just Like Daddy

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I just love these little Sandhill Crane Chicks. This one from the same shoot last month. I piked this frame because there legs are in the same timing and I like how the chick sems to be looking at the parents legas and following "just like daddy". I have been practicing my new PP skills I have been learning. Suggestions always welcome
Canon 1DMIV
500 mm f4 w1.4X
800 ISO f8@1/2000
cropped to pan

Diane Miller
04-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Wonderful image and interpretation! And it looks like daddy is keeping an eye turned on the chick, ever so discreetly.

Image adjustments look great to me -- maybe a tiny bit of CCW rotation to level the fine line of in-focus grass.

Karl Egressy
04-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Nice pose of both of them and the composition really works here, Cheryl.

Marina Scarr
04-12-2013, 08:48 PM
The pano presentation is quite powerful here, and love the mimicking behavior. Agree with Diane on the CCW rotatiom. The light really shone on this morning!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Wonderful image and interpretation! And it looks like daddy is keeping an eye turned on the chick, ever so discreetly.

Image adjustments look great to me -- maybe a tiny bit of CCW rotation to level the fine line of in-focus grass.
Thanks everyone. Heres the rotation

Randy Stout
04-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Cheryl:

Very fine capture and handling. Love the matching poses and the story it tells.

Crop is just right for me.

Cheers

Randy

Troy Lim
04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Repost looks great..nice image..the green is nice, helping to set the focus on the birds.

David Salem
04-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Beautiful contrasting colors in this one. Nice detail and exposure and the following in dads footsteps pose is unique and fun. The repost straightened things out nicely. Well done.

Sachin Saraf
04-13-2013, 01:56 AM
Wow! what a beautiful image. Love the exposure, BG, details and pose on both daddy and his little fella...TFS

Shawn Zierman
04-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Great light quality. Excellent storytelling aspect to the image. Dig the subject isolation. Don't dig the manicured looking lawn.
Was fine with the slope of the land in the first image, as the bird's bodies looked properly oriented anyway.
How do you sex sandhill cranes?

susanschermer
04-13-2013, 06:40 AM
I agree that it's a wonderful story-telling image. My one criticism is that it is easy to tell that BG has been blurred in post processing. The giveaway is that one little strip of grass that's sharp. In reality there has to have been more grass in focus.

MohsenVahedipour
04-13-2013, 07:11 AM
What a nice shallow DOF! Excellent composition & texture.

Satish Ranadive
04-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Excellent image.Wonderful composition with great low angle.Love every thing in the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Lorant Voros
04-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Very nice image with the chick and adult. I like both versions. Especially like the light and the colors.

arash_hazeghi
04-13-2013, 12:05 PM
this is very cute Cheryl, excellent use of DOF!

Marina Scarr
04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I just took another look at this kick butt image and realized that it has a slight green cast...about 10 points in the opposite direction took care of the issue. It's really hard to tell unless you toggle back and forth.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Great light quality. Excellent storytelling aspect to the image. Dig the subject isolation. Don't dig the manicured looking lawn.
Was fine with the slope of the land in the first image, as the bird's bodies looked properly oriented anyway.
How do you sex sandhill cranes?
Hey Shawn. Thanks for the comment. I cannot tell how to tell them apart. This could actually be mom and her daughter LOL. Just the name I gave it.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
I agree that it's a wonderful story-telling image. My one criticism is that it is easy to tell that BG has been blurred in post processing. The giveaway is that one little strip of grass that's sharp. In reality there has to have been more grass in focus.
Hi Susan and thanks for the comment. Actually did not blur the bg. That effect is in camera because of my low angle and choice of dof. That line really is all that is sharp. Here is the original UNTOUCHED , dust spots and all and you will see what I mean. Only used NR in the bg

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-13-2013, 01:43 PM
I just took another look at this kick butt image and realized that it has a slight green cast...about 10 points in the opposite direction took care of the issue. It's really hard to tell unless you toggle back and forth.
Thanks girl. will get on that

Raymond Lee
04-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Nice shot and a great story to it!