PDA

View Full Version : Visitor to a Weeping Cherry Tree

Norm Dulak
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens @ 400mm, tripod mounted
ISO 800; f/7.1, 1/3200 sec
PP: Topaz DeNoise; PS CS6 levels, SH, crop and sharpen

Robins seldom capture photographers' attention because they are so common. Still, they are beautiful birds, as I think this visitor to our weeping cherry tree proved yesterday.

Norm

Marina Scarr
04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
This is a simple yet lovely image, Norm. The only thing I would consider is a slightly tighter crop giving you the same feel but putting just a little more emphasis on your bird with that terrific head turn and pose.

Norm Dulak
04-12-2013, 11:10 AM
This is a simple yet lovely image, Norm. The only thing I would consider is a slightly tighter crop giving you the same feel but putting just a little more emphasis on your bird with that terrific head turn and pose.

Good suggestion, Marina. And thanks for the repost.

Faraaz Abdool
04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Simple and beautiful. I'm just wishing the branch coming out of the robin's chest wasn't there, though. The colours really pop here, the robin is very well lit with the perfect head turn toward you.

Joel Eade
04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I really think Robin's are not given enough attention...well done here, beautiful image. I like the composition and the flowers really are a nice addition as well.

PhilCook
04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Ummmm....Robins are by no means common here, I have to travel long distances in hope of finding any.

Lovely comp with the cheery flowers/stems and the powder blue sky works in nicely, dof is good from head to tail, but I wonder if the head could do with a contrast tweak. I'd be inclined to crop more from the top and if not opposed to too much PS work I'd also suggest to clone out the branch behind the birds midsection

Lyle Gruby
04-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Pretty shot. I like the re-post. Agree with removing the branch. A little contrast probably wouldn't hurt either.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I do like the pose and head turn and the nice floral perch as well. I actually had a more traditional crop in mind by taking some of the top only. I wish for more dof on the great perch but still nice as posted

Diane Miller
04-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Cheryl's crop idea works for me. Would be interesting to compare it without that top branch.

Very nice capture, in any case.

Shawn Zierman
04-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Gorgeous image of this handsome male bird. Perch quality is super deluxe imo, and since
it is not a set-up, I think you did very well creating the comp. as is. The OP works, but yes,
I could see a slight trim off the top. Marina's repost works as well. When you start with a
great image in the first place, it's not unusual for more than one crop to work... :)
Nice spring "feel" to the frame.

Norm Dulak
04-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone, for your comments and suggestions!