PDA

View Full Version : Coot at Dawn..

Don Railton
04-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Hi Guys, I took this one cold morning last year while waiting for a sunrise over the swan river in Perth... This little fella was flat out getting breakfast. I like the reflected sky in the water and the perfect head angle...:t3 Still having trouble with my keyboard, but used the 500F4 + MK4, F4 @ 1/1000 sec, ISO 1000, sitting on my tripod and Wimberley head. Full frame. Processed in CS 6 using the (new) NIK software DON

Marina Scarr
04-12-2013, 06:28 AM
This is such a unique image. It really helpatty that the water was mirror like and gave you such a nice reflection. Your image needs a little bit of CW rotation. The best way to see it is to line up the water splash in front of the bird with its reflection. You will see that is that the splash is not on a straight line with reflection. Would love to see some more of these images in this light and lovely water.

Don Railton
04-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Thank you Marina. It never occurred to me that I could use the reflection for establishing a level, still learning at BPN... I have rotated the reposted image to make it 'level'. There are a few others like this, and some with just the back end of the coot disappearing underwater. DON

Marina Scarr
04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Looks even better, Don. This is really a unique image.

Lyle Gruby
04-12-2013, 07:00 PM
I absolutely love the reflection of the splash. I love that it shows the hidden portion we can't see. Very intriguing image.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Totally unique and out of the box. I likeit. The great light and shape of the splash make it work for me.

Diane Miller
04-12-2013, 10:54 PM
The reflection of the splash is to die for!!

Don Railton
04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks Guys... Has taken me a while to realise the potential of this image and it was only because I started playing with the my new NIK software that it became a little more obvious to me. (its the guy thing... OK?). Marina, I do have others but the bird had moved further down the river and the sky does not reflect in the water as much... still has the nice collar splash though. Will play more and post if I think they are worthy....thanks again, DON

Daniel Cadieux
04-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Oh boy, am I ever glad I saw this image! I love the fluidity and silkiness of the water. Great colours too. Excellent stuff!

Don Railton
04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks again to all for the nice comments..! Starting to feel a little disappointed with myself that I did not see its potential earlier..!!