PDA

View Full Version : Fields of Pink

Morkel Erasmus
04-11-2013, 03:34 PM
We live in what is called in tourism circles "Cosmos Country". It looks like crap all year (lots of power plants and pylons around) but for a few weeks at the start of autumn...there's something to look at...a massive cosmos bloom (which is a weed in South Africa, incidentally).

Last year's bloom left much to be desired...and this year's wasn't looking much better. Yet, a recent bout of late good rainfall ensure that it's come up smashingly. Now the biggest challenge is finding a spot without any of those pylons and cooling towers in it :Whoa!:.

This is a spot we found yesterday. The cosmos 2 feet to either side of me was too high to even see over - this was the only spot that afforded a view across the meadow. The light looked promising but fizzled out like a prom romance...:eek3:

Still...good to be out shooting landscapes in an area that I normally avoid.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 24mm
f16 | 1/4 SS | ISO-200
Single Exposure
Tripod mounted
Kenko Pro CPL

Don Railton
04-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Pity about that light Morkel...It would be a much prettier scene if it had co-operated... I like the intent, and clouds participated, and the flowers are pretty, but apparently you cant have everything.
As a 'buy the way', you can get Cosmos in Perth. You have to buy them, but only once. After that you need to buy glyphosate..

DON

Rachel Hollander
04-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Morkel - it certainly is a pop of color though I feel like it is lacking an anchor or focal point to really draw the eye and provide interest.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Morkel, love the vibrant colours and scene setting on this one. The blue against the pinks and greens works IMHO. The almost 50/50 split not sure and wonder if the old thirds might be better, or boring? Just a thought, but would in this instant, (pardon the expression) a bit of windhelp to add more interest and create a sway in the FG?

Nice work. love the open skies you get.

TFS
Steve

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi Morkel, lovely field!!! You are most lucky...amazing how weeds in one country are cherished garden flowers in another :S3: